Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Patty meltdown

Patty meltdown

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:21 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last Saturday morning I was grocery shopping and got the idea to try a patty melt, so I picked up a package of 2 burgers made with cheddar and bacon, and formed them into a shape better suited to the bread.
Image Image

I put Dijon mustard on a couple of slices of rye bread and chose cheddar for the cheese. Traditional patty melts often include grilled onions as well but I left those out.

I partially cooked the burger, put it along with the cheese between the buttered bread slices, and returned it to the grill where I put a weight on top. Unfortunately things kind of went off the track from this point, as I think the mustard added too much moisture to the bread and it didn't toast very well on the grill and I pretty much completely lost 1 slice when trying to flip it. I did add a replacement slice and finish it, but it was a pretty sloppy end result.

At least it still tasted pretty good. A lot of the cheese bits disappeared during the grilling process but the slices I added made up for it.

Next time I'll add the mustard after it's done!

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:41 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You've really been a busy Pitmaster this past week, haven't you Chef Brad? I really like your ideas for a patty melt! I'd love to join you for a Bears/Chargers game for that with some good ol' Wisconsin beers. (Have you had any Old Milwaukee, Schiltz, Carling's Black Label, Burgie or Blatz lately?). Years ago, I used to be a big fan of Wiedemeier for the price-- otherwise nicknamed by me as "Wildman." And how do you think the melts would be with Monster cheese? Whatever, I'd download that in a heartbeat! :D :cheers:

BTW-- Kudos on alll your recent cookouts!
ImageImage
Got beer???

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:09 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! No, I haven't been busy this week - I finally finished the roll of film I started over 2 weeks ago! :lol:

Muenster'd be an excellent cheese. I thought about using brick but since the burgers had been made with cheddar I figured I'd stick with that theme.

I haven't had Old Swill in years but I did buy some Schlitz after the reformulated version came out, and it's pretty good. And I even had a Blatz this summer while sitting in a bar waiting for my order from the Chinese restaurant next door.

Return to General Discussion