Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork riblets

Pork riblets

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Every so often the grocery store has "riblet" rib trimmings so the last time I was there I grabbed a package. Some of them were actually pretty meaty and the price was right, while the use of a reflective sheet pan wasn't. :oops:

Since the plan was to grill them direct I decided to go with a basic rub with a little celery salt added.

They went over a medium fire until done. Since they were in individual pieces it was easier to get them more consistently done, although the short bones make it a little tougher to determine when they're ready.

Mrs. Chicken had an acorn squash that needed to be eaten so I grilled it as well. I learned that slicing a bit off the bottom so that the half will sit nicely on the grate will allow the butter to leach out, so I won't do that again.

The riblets are a nice change from full-size racks because they don't take too long to cook but still have great flavor. Usually they still have the membrane but it's less of an issue because it's not very wide.

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:27 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Those ribs look good. How did you grill the squash? Direct heat, or indirect? I tried one last week with just butter and brown sugar, but nobody liked it. I was thinking about trying the Madeira Squash recipe from BBQ USA today. Never tried slicing one into rings, but I'm thinking it might cook better.
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:53 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! I start the squash cut side down over direct heat until I get some grill marks and the flesh looks dry, and then I flip it over, move it to indirect, and add anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 stick of salted butter. My wife says that it's fine without any added sugar, because of the caramelization process, and it helps to score the flesh so that the butter can seep in.

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Now there's real game day treat. NIce work, Brad! I lluv grilled ribs/riblets too, especially if I can coax some char out of them. :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 am
BBQ Deputy

A couple of the smaller ones got a little too well coaxed but I hid them under the others. :wink:

I cut them into individual pieces for eating and they were like little rib nuggets!

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Riblets have a different meaning up here. That's what the butchers call the trimmings from when a whole slab is trimmed down to a St. Louis cut. They're not bad but need low 'n slow cooking to get them right.

Brad - the ribs you've shown here are what my local supermarkets would call "sweet and sour cut" and most people I know cook them just like the name says. That means pop them in the over and cook them until almost done and then drown them in a sauce that's almost always more sweet than sour.

I like your way a lot better! And you're right - it's tough to tell when they're done unless you use a meat thermometer, but the end result is one of my favorite grilled appetizers. :D

Sorry about the squash, though.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion