Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:33 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm sorry for the belated wishes but I hope everyone's having or has had a great holiday! We're back from my parents' house and I think I'm going to spend the rest of the night watching TV and burping... :wink:

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 pm
jstewart well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I'm sorry for the belated wishes but I hope everyone's having or has had a great holiday! We're back from my parents' house and I think I'm going to spend the rest of the night watching TV and burping... :wink:

I trust that means you ate some good food today :lol: The turkey came off the Weber a few minutes ago and is resting and we'll be having friends over after while. All of the other food is prepped and/or cooking, so we're just relaxing for a while.

Happy Thanksgiving to all
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:40 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We Canadians have our Thanksgiving celebrations on the second week of October but all the same, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Since my mom gave us some leftover turkey I made a big batch (12 cups of water) soup yesterday. I started with a packaged chicken noodle soup mix and added turkey, a half pound of sliced fresh mushrooms, about a half pound of frozen corn, a small can of green beans, and a diced Russet potato. Soup for dinner last night and I just finished 2 bowls for lunch...so tonight I'm grilling a ham steak!

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Normally I get about one to three turkey carcasses during our Thanksgiving season so if there are enough I'l get my biggest stock pot and cook up a big pot of turkey stock. If not, they go into the freezer with the chicken bones I collect when deboning thighs and such. I pick off the meat, seal it in a Food Saver bag and freeze it separately in smaller batches, as you never know when you'll get a craving for a chicken or turkey sandwich. :D

Once I have enough I just follow the classic Julia Child recipe for stock and let it cook overnight or a bit more. I've mentioned before that a neat trick of hers for adding flavor to a stock is to roast the bones first. It darkens the color but adds a lot of body and taste as well.

I'll roast chicken and turkey bones till they are dark golden brown in general, but with beef bones there's an additional trick: slather them with tomato paste and roast them till they are dark brown. This is another Julia Child tip and it works really well. The tomato paste cooks to a dark brown and adds a lot more color without making it taste like tomatoes if you roast them long enough.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion