Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion It's Turkey Week!

It's Turkey Week!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 pm
jstewart well done
well done

I've never really given a thought to taking the carcass and making stock with it, let alone roasting the bones and then starting the stock.....don't know why, I just never did. Well, after we finished eating on Thursday, I put the carcass in the oven for a while and then put it in a pot with some water and some salt and pepper and let it simmer for a couple of hours. After reading the suggestion about making soup (I have plenty of stock with pieces of turkey), I asked my wife today what she would like if I made turkey soup. She suggested I adapt a "fennel and spinach" soup that I use with chicken. That sounded good and I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:19 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Thanks for the turkey gumbo tips. Turned out great! Look forward to roasting the bones first next time...
Gumbo.JPG
Gumbo.JPG (75.26 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:32 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a good-looking bowl of gumbo and a great photo, Baas! Jimmy, I think you're going to be happy with your soup...

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:57 pm
jstewart well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That's a good-looking bowl of gumbo and a great photo, Baas! Jimmy, I think you're going to be happy with your soup...

I think we will be as well....took a sample a little while ago :D :D
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:23 am
Trollby well done
well done

I smoke roasted a 14# bird on the char-griller (Sorry forgot pictures) @ 325*F for 2 hours, turned out juicy and very tasty for a non-brined bird.

I have the bones in the freezer for turkey soup, I always try to make several soups over winter since Linda love nice home-made soup (better than the GF stuff out there)

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

We finished off the turkey leftovers with Steven's Smoked Turkey Hash idea. Great idea. For the liquid I used a cup of the gumbo broth. Awesome.

Hash.JPG
Hash.JPG (76.94 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great pics, BaasPro! :cheers:

But did you have to post them so soon after breakfast? Now I'm regretting the bran muffin and banana I had. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:18 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

CharredGriller wrote:
Great pics, BaasPro! :cheers:

But did you have to post them so soon after breakfast? Now I'm regretting the bran muffin and banana I had. :twisted:

Thanks. Raisin Bran for breakfast here. Hash for lunch!

Previous

Return to General Discussion