Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turkey post-op

Turkey post-op

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:49 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was bilingual and multi-generational, which made for a really interesting evening. And we certainly gave thanks to have family and friends around and live in a country like the USA.

So we wound up cooking turkeys three ways this year:

--brined with bourbon and smoked with cherry wood
--seasoned w barbecue rub (roughly equal parts salt, pepper, paprika, and brown sugar) and cooked on a beer can
--stuffed under the skin with truffle butter and roasted on a charcoal burning rotisserie

To gauge the popularity of each method, we used the "carcass test" (which carcass was picked clean to the bone the fastest).

The brined bird was the hands down favorite. Moist, flavorful meat, with a bronzed skin and pronounced smoke flavor. It was even reasonably crisp skinned thanks to a timing error. Smoke temp fell somewhere between 4 and 5 p.m., so we brushed the bird with melted butter and finished it by indirect grilling on a hot gas grill (400 degrees for the last 50 minutes). Like I always say, no such thing as a mistake in the kitchen--just a new dish waiting to be discovered.

The truffle butter bird had the meatiest texture. We kept basting the skin with the pan drippings (which included melted truffle butter).

The rubbed beer can bird was tasty enough, but it seemed sort of two dimensional next to the brined bird, which had flavor down to the bone.

How did YOUR bird come out? What technique worked best for YOU this year? What are you chomping at the bit to try NEXT year?

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Bronze "heritage" bird (actually a cross between Bronze and traditional white.) Dry brined, (copious kosher salt and herbes de Provence) under skin. Let dry two days in cold fridge. Rinsed day before, and left to dry skin an additional day. Cooked on Ceramic at 475 (to 163F) for 90 minutes. Tasty and juicy (even the white meat) but I mostly went for the thighs.. Covered with PAM-sprayed parchment and foiled the wing and drum tips.

Pefectly browned, crispy skin. Slightly salty taste (needed no additional.) I may reduce the salt next year on the dry brining...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Let's just say you have my attention! (You got me with heritage!)

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:00 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I see 4 success stories - even the "two-dimensional" beer can version! :thumbup:

If things go as expected it'll be our turn to host Thanksgiving next year. Thanks for the ideas!

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:11 pm
Trollby well done
well done

This year we changed up our normal Brined Turkey for a "Enhanced" bird so no Brining allowed.

I thawed the turkey and the night before made a injection with my "Poultry" Rub (reduced the salt due to bird), Gluten free beer, Gluten Free turkey base and fresh herbs.

After injecting the bird until bursting I gave the bird a slight rub and placed in fridge breast side down for over night.

The next morning I pulled the bird and did the 30min "Ice" on the breast only chill while getting the char-griller up to 325*F and added some apple wood

Rubbed the bird with more rub and 2 hours later the bird was at temp ready for rest

This was a Very good bird

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:44 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Since my smoker is under 20 inches of snow, I let the folks cook the bird yet again. It was a basic Butterball turkey done in the oven, and it was fine.

But the bones are now sitting in my freezer as usual, and I'm looking forward to making a few gallons of stock over the holidays. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion