Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mahi Rub

Mahi Rub

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm
Phantom medium
medium

How's it going everyone!!! It's been a long time since I've been on. A lot has been happening here on Guam. But mainly I retired after 40 years in Publice Safety (Forestry, Police and Fire). It's been hard adjusting to full time fishing, BBQing, and my photography. :wink:

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on my Mahi Rub to everyone since it's the season for giving. Try this on fish and other seafood. That is what I developed it for. But of course feel free to try it on anything you like....even sprinkle a little on fresh fruits like mango and peaches. Adds a "Bam" thing to them.

Mahi Rub

¼ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ Tsp Paprika
½ Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Black Pepper (fine grind)
½ Tsp MSG

Hope you all give it a try. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

You all have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year and most importantly, stay safe out there.

I'll be here on the side reading all your great posts.

:thumbup:

Phantom..

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to hear from you again, Phantom! Thanks for the recipe and don't be a stranger! :wink:

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:43 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome back, Phantom - it's been a while! :cheers:

That rub sounds great (except the MSG which I don't eat). I think I'll check the pantry and maybe mix up a batch.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Phantom medium
medium

It has been a while. I have really miss you all and this forum. Just been so busy adjusting to a new life style....retirement. When the dust has settled and things are somewhat normal. Still smoking and grilling. I even produced a 2014 Guam calendar. Came out great.

Screaming Chicken try that rub out. It will surprise you on the flavors and how it gels with grilled fish and other seafood.

CharredGriller, I have made it before without the MSG before for a friend and the rub is fine. It's just that the MSG give things that extra "Bam" if you know what I mean. But it still works and that's whats important.

Also into fabricating smokers and grills. I help out in the design and my son-in-law is the actual fabricator. Here is a grill we just completed recently for a restaurant...

We just roasted a whole hog (about 200 lbs.) the other day in a large, gas roasting oven (homemade). We also did a few hams and turkeys (in foil).

Been busy. :thumbup:
Attachments
3 (Small).jpg
3 (Small).jpg (77.21 KiB) Viewed 774 times
4 (Small).jpg
4 (Small).jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 774 times

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:41 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Congrats on the retirement, but when he first retired my dad commented that he was busier than when he had a job! :lol:

The fabrication business looks like a nice sideline, especially if it's not being counted on as a primary source of income.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:04 pm
Phantom medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Congrats on the retirement, but when he first retired my dad commented that he was busier than when he had a job! :lol:

The fabrication business looks like a nice sideline, especially if it's not being counted on as a primary source of income.

Very true ScreamingChicken... seems like you become busier when you retire. But you become busier with more enjoyable matters like family or personal projects...

Fabricating pits and smokers is a great way to make a little sideline cash for sure. But you've got to love what your doing and keep it in perspective. Seeing the final product is exciting every time!!!

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:15 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I never been to Gaum but thank you for 40 years of Forestry, Police and Fire.

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:45 am
Phantom medium
medium

Seattle-Q wrote:
I never been to Gaum but thank you for 40 years of Forestry, Police and Fire.

Thank you for that Seattle-Q. It was a long public safety career that was totally my pleasure with serving the public. Now it's all about staying busy and enjoying life large with my family!!! :bbq:

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:06 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

That's the spirit! Thanks!

SR

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:52 pm
Phantom medium
medium

Steven wrote:
That's the spirit! Thanks!

SR

Thanks Steven!!! :thumbup: :cheers: