Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Deviled CSRs

Deviled CSRs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

One the recipes in Ribs! Ribs! Ribs! is Deviled Country Style Ribs and while I'd looked it over several times, this past Monday was the first time I'd given it a try. On first glance it seems a little complicated and labor-intensive, but if everything's organized and planned it's not that bad at all.

I started by salting the CSRs on Saturday. The recipe calls for brining but these ribs were so nicely marbled I figured they would stay plenty moist.

First the ribs go into the mustard-based paste and then they're rolled in bread crumbs. I used panko crumbs because I'd never used them before and they weren't as expensive as I thought they might be.
Image Image

The ribs were grilled indirect until the internal temp reached 160 or so. I didn't use any smoke wood; otherwise, I think the crumb coating would've picked up a lot more color.

As I'd hoped, the ribs were nice and moist inside and the "devil paste" added some good flavor. It contains some pretty strong aromatic ingredients and when I was making it I wondered about how the finished product would taste, but it mellowed nicely during the grilling process. I was surprised at how pink the pork was but I suspect it was due partly to the salt.

Return to General Discussion