Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Salmon Question

Salmon Question

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:15 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Hi Steven. I have $100 worth of sockeye salmon from Bristol Bay that we'll be grilling BBQ U-style. Could you remind me what you called the chips we made from grilled salmon skin while the fish was cooking on a plank? I thought I wrote it down in my notes, but apparently I didn't. Good thing it wasn't on the final exam! :lol:

Here's a photo reminder. And I really want one of those big Weber grills someday!

Thanks...

325.JPG
325.JPG (127.81 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:23 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Good to hear from you, Rob. Lucky you! The chips are called Pac-Rim potato chips and they're super easy to make. Lightly brush the salmon skin with sesame oil on both sides, then season generously with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Indirect grill the salmon skin (shiny side down) on the well oiled grate of a 400 degree grill. Grill until crisp and golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool on a baking sheet--it will crisp, then cut or break into chips. Eat with iced aquavit. Happy holidays!

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Steven wrote:
Good to hear from you, Rob. Lucky you! The chips are called Pac-Rim potato chips and they're super easy to make. Lightly brush the salmon skin with sesame oil on both sides, then season generously with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Indirect grill the salmon skin (shiny side down) on the well oiled grate of a 400 degree grill. Grill until crisp and golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool on a baking sheet--it will crisp, then cut or break into chips. Eat with iced aquavit. Happy holidays!

Thanks, and the same to you. Happy New Year, as well! This was our best year of grilling so far, largely thanks to the BBQ U experience.

I've tried the Pac-Rim chips with smaller fillets, but I forgot to use sesame oil and I knew something wasn't right so I look forward to trying again.

The salmon talk reminds me of a point you made about trying to cook with fresh food that is in season. We've been really trying to do that for the first time this year and about 80% of our veggies, fruits, and meats have come from local farmers. It's been fun. The salmon might be an exception, but it's a cool story. A young local Kentucky couple fishes Bristol Bay and brings the salmon back to distribute to restaurants and farmer's markets here. We've been enjoying the smaller fillets for months, and now they've hooked me up with some of the full-size skin-on PBO fillets. Good stuff! I don't know if it's possible to eat local Alaskan salmon in Kentucky, but it feels like it.
:)
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Return to Ask Steven