Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Holiday countdown

Holiday countdown

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

With the end-of-year holidays just about a week away and bearing down fast it's time to start thinking about those holiday cooks. Anyone doing anything in particular? I haven't decided what to do for Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, or New Year's Day yet, but Steven's recent posts about prime rib have me leaning in that direction. I have next Monday off and it would be easy to head to my favorite butcher shop and pick one up...

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Hi Brad, old friend!

Prime rib sure sounds like a droolworthy treat. Speaking of droolworthy, besides my pipe, I'm smoking up some beef jerky (London broil) as part of my holiday cooking today. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:05 pm
BBQ Deputy

Jerky, eh? Will it be stocking stuffers and host gifts as well as a general snack?

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:40 pm
jstewart well done
well done

We're still trying to decide. Traditionally, we have turkey on Christmas (even though Thanksgiving wasn't that long ago). My wife mentioned about wanting a ham. When I brought that up to my younger son (24 yrs old) who is at home with us, he said that was "just wrong" and we should have turkey......maybe it is time for me to finally try some prime rib.....
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:08 am
BaasPro medium
medium

The prime rib talk has me thinking about going that route, too. If I can talk my brother into staying in town for the day after Christmas, it's on!
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Jerky, eh? Will it be stocking stuffers and host gifts as well as a general snack?

If it can ever make it's way out of thee backyard, yes, it is intended to be shared. Looks like I have a few more batches to do. I also have some pics. I'll try to get them posted as soon as I can carve out the time. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:45 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Well, we finally settled on Turkey for Christmas dinner/supper. After discussion, and since my wife has to work Christmas morning (some of you may recall that I posted back in May that she graduated with a Master's degree in counseling. She works at a mental health hospital as an intern. In September, they started paying her :D :D and recently was given a management position, and mental illness doesn't take a holiday), we decided we would "delay Christmas" until she gets home. We'll have Turkey and all of the fixins and plan on things going in the freezer. Since we're going to Pittsburgh on the 27th to visit my older son and his fiancé, not much else is planned in the mean time.....maybe New Years day brings prime rib???? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
Last edited by jstewart on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:21 am
d_holck well done
well done

Picked up a boneless beef roast, to be skewered and rotisseried. There may be more, not sure yet...
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:39 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I cooked a rib roast for my wifes office party sliced for sandwiches. My wife and I are cooking for the local Rescue Mission's Bethel Village for ladies with addiction issues and Im cooking three rib roast, homemade mac and cheese, and good old green bean caserole.

In the south our new year tradition is pork, blackeyed peas, greens, and of course SEC and ACC football. I think by then I will ready for some pork. Probably going with a fresh ham.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. May your blessings flow.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:24 pm
BBQ Deputy

Those are some great gifts you're giving! :thumbup:

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm usually pretty worn out by Christmas, so I always let someone else do the cooking. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion