Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:15 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And Happy Holidays to any and everyone who celebrate anything today! And even if you don't, Happy Wednesday! :wink:

My kids gave me a copy of "Wicked Good Barbecue" by Andy Husbands and Chris Hart. It looks like an interesting book (pig ear terrine, anyone?) and Steven wrote the foreword.

As we were leaving my parents' house last night I mentioned that if they wanted to make the drive (we're about 50 miles apart) they were more than welcome to join us today for dinner. Sure enough, my mom called awhile back to see if the invitation still stood as their other plans had been rescheduled, so I guess it's a good thing I bought a bigger rib roast yesterday. After thinking about it I decided my initial choice was too small so I put it back and picked a larger one...how fortuitous! And since the Old Man likes his beef medium-well and beyond I'll have a taker for the end cuts. :wink:

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:00 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Why thank you Brad! I did And I am and likewise to you!

Sounds like you had some unexpected blessings. :lol: That's a good one about the bigger rib roast. I'm still sipping down eggnog.
Got beer???

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! Unfortunately things didn't work out quite as I had planned and my parents weren't able to make it, but that just means more leftovers for me! :wink:

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:23 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

For Christmas Day dinner, the main attraction was the 10 pound turkey, which I bbqed at around 300 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours. I foiled most of the edges of the CharGriller to keep more of smoke in, as well as the foiling the opening to the set off.

I placed a bunch of coals (full Raichlen's chimney) ( Kingsford Competition) one side of my CharGriller, and the one hour brined turkey( cup of salt and sugar, some rosemary- (we have three large bushes growing)- and cold water in a zip locked bag ) on the other side. I used oak for the smoke, which I did not soak. All dampers fully closed( occasionally opened to get things hotter if temp went down). Bottom of turkey legs and all wings foiled with aluminum. I did need to replenish coals, only 20 extra needed. No basting.

Sweet potatoes and apples were foiled and poked to let the smoke in, but removed when cooked to prevent overcooking.

The turkey was the best yet. Juicy as all heck. Nice smoke , ( not too much oak) , great color. Well cooked throughout. The turkey temp was 190 degrees when I did pull it. I thought it was not cooked when I sliced into it 20 minute later because of the juiciness. Shows you what brine does.

In previous years, I tried to slow bbq turkey at 230 degrees or so, for many hours. It was ok, but not great, and took too much attention. Although I still Q brisket and tri-tip for 12 hours when all planets are in alignment.

On New Years Day, I grilled on my gas Chef Master, colossal shrimp, and scallops, with a bit of oak smoke.They were also tossed with a light cajun type of spices before grilling, which were home made of course. Steamed mussels also made an appearance.

Happy New Year,
Jerry

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I let someone else do the cooking this year as the temperatures were in the -25° C range. That's -13°F, which is nasty cold.

My relatives decided to buy a huge smoked turkey from Costco and it went over very well although a few folks were saying "this ham tastes different from last year.".
I usually get the carcass, so when I got home on Christmas Eve I trimmed it, prepped some veggies and put the whole works in a stock pot. That made for turkey stew and sandwiches on Christmas Day, and turkey soup the next week.

I also froze some stock as I had over 3 gallons of it and I had a lot of leftover meat, so I've been having turkey gumbo and turkey jambalaya all week too. :D
That's a lot of food from one store-bought bird. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion