Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion December's Online Holiday Block Party!

December's Online Holiday Block Party!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
LGHail rare
rare

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas.
Here is some Mechouli of Lamb (from Planet Barbecue).
Daniel

Grilling is great, it gives me an excuse to play with fire.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice, Daniel! What cut of lamb did you use and how big was it?

BaasPro medium
medium

LGHail wrote:
Hope everyone had a merry Christmas.
Here is some Mechouli of Lamb (from Planet Barbecue).

That's beautiful! :cheers:
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

LGHail rare
rare

Thanks
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Very nice, Daniel! What cut of lamb did you use and how big was it?

It was a 4lb bone in leg of lamb.
Daniel

Grilling is great, it gives me an excuse to play with fire.

BaasPro medium
medium

I'm a bit late to the party, but I made it! We did a rib roast for the last Sunday dinner of the year. It wasn't necessarily planned, but I hoped to find a discounted rib roast after Christmas and I did see one I couldn't pass up so we made up a mustard rosemary paste and grilled it with some potatoes on oak planks. Delicious.

04.JPG
04.JPG (126.02 KiB) Viewed 885 times

06.JPG
06.JPG (148.16 KiB) Viewed 885 times

12.JPG
12.JPG (93.97 KiB) Viewed 885 times

BaasPro medium
medium

I would have liked to make some twice-baked potatoes with some horseradish, but while the roast was resting I had to grill some chicken breasts for my wife. Not complaining -- I love a simple meat & potatoes dinner on Sunday!

13b.JPG
13b.JPG (71.86 KiB) Viewed 885 times

Happy New Year, BBQ Board! :cheers:

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nicely done, BP! I was shopping last weekend but sadly the leftover rib roasts hadn't been marked down yet.

Did you leave the roast on the plank for the duration of the cook? I've never seen one done that way before.

BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nicely done, BP! I was shopping last weekend but sadly the leftover rib roasts hadn't been marked down yet.

Did you leave the roast on the plank for the duration of the cook? I've never seen one done that way before.

Thanks! Yup, I've been using planks a little differently this year. I don't do this with cedar because it's too strong for me, but with oak and hickory planks I quit soaking them and I put them on the fire for a couple minutes to get them smoking (or maybe even burning) before shutting the lid. That puts the flames out but the plank continues to provide a lot of smoke for the duration. So it's more like smoke-roasting than typical planking. The good part is that I don't need to add any other smoking wood for flavor. The downside is that the planks are done after one use, and sometimes it's hard to get the food off because they flare up again when I open the lid. That wasn't a problem this time because I left it alone for an hour and a half and the plank was used up by then. In fact, the beef plank broke in half when I tried to remove it.

One&Done.JPG
One&Done.JPG (95.91 KiB) Viewed 864 times

I've been told this won't work so well with grills other than a Weber Kettle, but I don't know why. I did it with a spatchcocked chicken a few months ago and it was my favorite of the year. It tasted like a smoked chicken even though it cooked in much less than an hour and had a nice crisp skin.

Previous

Return to General Discussion