Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New Years traditions

New Years traditions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:48 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

So what are your New Years traditions? Here in the south it's blackeyed peas, greens, and pork. I've had enough turkey, ham, and beef, so I'll be doing pork tenderloins. Probably marinate two in rosemary and garlic and rub two with a new rub I got for Christmas. Going to grill them indirect. I've got some left over apple and cranberry chutney I made to serve with the pork. I'm also in charge of the greens. Probably turnips this year. Ive been using smoked turkey necks to season greens. I first simmer the neck in water to make a stock and then I pull the meat to add to the greens. Others are in charge of the blackeyed peas, cole slaw, and cornbread. Oh yea and plenty of football with a few barley pops.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:11 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There may be some around here but I didn't grow up with any, so New Year's is a blank canvas for me every year. I do have to work a few hours in the morning but I have a rack of ribs in the freezer that would make for a nice dinner, so I might go that route.

Are hocks the traditional pork choice in the South?

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:16 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

Hocks are the choice for the blackeyed peas and the greens. Some use smoked hog jowl as well. I cooked four standing rib roast over the holidays for others but I took the ribs, so I have a good meal ahead.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 am
BBQ Deputy

No New Year cooking for me this time around...thanks to our jobs Mrs. Chicken and I won't do much more than cross paths until Friday! Although I suppose I could treat myself to a steak or something this evening...

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:56 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

All please be safe.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:52 am

No matter what your traditions are have a safe and happy New Year

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:51 pm
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Pork shoulder (pernil) and pasteles my parents are from Puerto Rico so pork shoulder is basicly the goto special occasion food choice and pasteles are popular for Christmas and New Years. As posted by others be safe out there if you have to drive. Have a happy and healthy New Year.
:cheers:

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:36 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm starting a new tradition for New Year's this year, in part because my relatives also started a new one. Instead of the usual turkey and smoked ham they bought a smoked turkey from Costco, and it was pretty much the best of both worlds (with the exception of the rubbery skin).

Since I usually get the bones and make a big pot of stock after Christmas, my new tradition will be smoked turkey and bean soup for tonight along with some fresh-baked rolls. So far, it's looking and smelling marvelous! :)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:25 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Bacon wrapped filets with Porcini sauce for New Years Eve. Usually do roast pork on New Year's day, but have a Jewish houseguest, so it's turkey this year :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 am
BBQ Deputy

The filets look great, PJ - excellent marks!

It sounds like everyone's eating well...

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:44 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
The filets look great, PJ - excellent marks!

It sounds like everyone's eating well...

For the sake of timing (and the fact these were already vacuum sealed as left overs from the Christmas Day roast) I cooked them sous-vide to 119F. A couple of the filets were partially made from scraps due to trimming, but the bacon wrap made them look like whole pieces.

I used Gravy Magic (like Kitchen Bouquet) to help caramelize them during the quick sear. I but this stuff in bulk, as it is great for deepening the color of gravies, but also get great grill marks without over-cooking delicate cuts like tenderloin. Of course, pre-heating cast iron helps ... :)
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am
Trollby well done
well done

My house New Years a lot of time is Prime Rib time, This year we did a nice Venison shoulder roast on the Rotisserie.
I rubbed it down with a Prime-Rib rub I make and let it sit in fridge over night, another light dusting before going on the Rotisserie and cook until 140*F or so.

Made an Au-Ju and Baked potatoes with a garlic sour-cream for side

Sorry no pictures.

Also seems like every year we watch badgers in a Bowl game, but last 4 years we watched them lose.

I also broke out some Old home brews for New Years eve and day.

Borg Oatmeal Stout - January 16, 2012
Dubbel Trouble - October 23, 2011
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead - March 4, 2012
Bohemian Imperial Pilsner - June 23, 2012

All were good after aging

I have to say the Dubbel was Outstanding, Glad I have a 4 left

Return to General Discussion