Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Himalayan Salt Plate

Himalayan Salt Plate

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:31 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Pretty stoked to get a Himalayan Salt Plate for Christmas today. Any ideas for how to use these things? The first thing I'll try is the Volcanic Shrimp recipe, but I'd love to hear from folks who have used these things before. :thumbup:
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice score! I've never used one but you can check this thread from a couple of months ago. Good luck!

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:01 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice score! I've never used one but you can check this thread from a couple of months ago. Good luck!

Cool, thanks!

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 am
BaasPro medium
medium

So after looking at the other post, I figured a Surf & Turf would be a proper way to break this salt plate in. I went with the Volcanic Shrimp recipe and a couple Filet Mignon seasoned only with olive oil and bourbon smoked pepper. Good news and bad news...

The bad news is that I blew up my salt plate. The instructions emphasize that it should be heated slowly, so I laid out a half-chimney of coals and set the salt plate on the grate with the grill lid off for a half hour. When I checked back, one corner of the plate was gone. A big chunk was laying a couple feet from the grill and smaller pieces were scattered about the deck up to 12 feet away. Kinda wish I had seen that explosion! I was a bit surprised to find that the surface temp was nearly 500 degrees, so I went about cooking on what was left. I only lost about 20-25% of the surface area, so no worries.

The good news is the food turned out great! I left the salt out of the Volcanic Shrimp marinade and both the shrimp and steak had a delicate salt flavor. I was surprised how long the salt plate seemed to hold its heat ever after the coals had mostly burned out.

SaltPlate.JPG
SaltPlate.JPG (130.11 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

Surf&Turf.JPG
Surf&Turf.JPG (87.7 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

The directions specifically said it wasn't recommended for use with a closed grill, but I think I'll try to heat it up with indirect heat and partially closed vents next time to prevent such high temps. That surprised me.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:20 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those filets are the perfect degree of doneness! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the near-disaster but at least the plate wasn't totally destroyed. But that raises a question: are these plates cut from solid pieces of salt, or are they manufactured? My first thought was that a slight impurity caused the explosion when it got too hot.

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:26 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was looking into one of these, but then the doc warned me off it as he was concerned about my sodium intake. (Sometimes I swear his last name should be McCoy...).

Sorry to hear yours blew up, because they're pretty nifty. I hope the remainder of the plate works, though. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:41 pm
d_holck well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
...A big chunk was laying a couple feet from the grill and smaller pieces were scattered about the deck up to 12 feet away. Kinda wish I had seen that explosion! ...

Sure, if you like flying shrapnel.... I'm glad the food came out great, and that you can still use what's left of the plate, but realistically... not sure I'd want to witness that up close...
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm
sroach well done
well done

Baaspro,

Those steaks and shrimp look awesome!! The salt plate adds a nice flavor huh?
did you save the piece that broke off? Maybe grind it up and use it in your cooking.

Also how did you clean it?

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:42 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

sroach wrote:
Baaspro,

Those steaks and shrimp look awesome!! The salt plate adds a nice flavor huh?
did you save the piece that broke off? Maybe grind it up and use it in your cooking.

Also how did you clean it?

Thanks! I really liked the flavor, but I'll definitely leave the salt out of any rubs or prep I did before grilling on it or it could be overkill. That Volcanic Shrimp is one of my all-time favorite finger foods.

Funny you should ask... I did grind up the piece that broke off. Now I have a little mason jar of this pink salt next to my jar of smoked salt. To clean it I just ran it under water for a minute and lightly scrubbed the stuck-on bits off. I'm not real concerned about how it looks anymore, but I'll definitely keep using it.

Last night I left it out in the freezing temperatures and brought it in today just to see how long it stays cold. Pretty impressive. It would be neat for serving cheese and fruits and stuff if it was still pretty. :lol:

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:06 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

d_holck wrote:
BaasPro wrote:
...A big chunk was laying a couple feet from the grill and smaller pieces were scattered about the deck up to 12 feet away. Kinda wish I had seen that explosion! ...

Sure, if you like flying shrapnel.... I'm glad the food came out great, and that you can still use what's left of the plate, but realistically... not sure I'd want to witness that up close...

No way. I was definitely kidding. In fact, that's a good argument for leaving the lid on next time, contrary to their instructions.

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 am
sroach well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:

Last night I left it out in the freezing temperatures and brought it in today just to see how long it stays cold. Pretty impressive. It would be neat for serving cheese and fruits and stuff if it was still pretty. :lol:

Yeah I have been wanting to use mine to serve from also, that's why I asked about the cleaning, I did the same as you. Guess we could always flip it over to use it as a serving plate.

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Tips about cooking with a salt block:

"For a Grill: Place your salt block on the grate. If using a charcoal grill, keep the coals to one side and place the block on the other side, to expose it to less direct heat. If using a gas grill, start the heat on low as you would with a gas range. Increase heat slowly until the block is ready to use, as described in the gas range instructions. "

Found here:
http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/How-to-Cook-on-Pink-Himalayan-Salt-Blocks

The author has written a book on salt block cooking:

http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/saltblockcooking

Steven is even quoted about the book:

“Mark Bitterman knows more about salt than anyone else on the planet. If you’ve ever wondered what to do with those handsome slabs of Himalayan salt you see at cookware shops, Salt Block Cooking will inspire you with wildly innovative uses you’ve never dreamed of, from cocktails to candy, from curing to grilling, and from ceviche to pizza. Along the way, you’ll learn the half-billion-year history of the only food that starts as a rock.”
--Steven Raichlen, author of the Barbecue! Bible series and host of Primal Grill on PBS"

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:45 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

smokeybeaver wrote:
Tips about cooking with a salt block:

"For a Grill: Place your salt block on the grate. If using a charcoal grill, keep the coals to one side and place the block on the other side, to expose it to less direct heat. If using a gas grill, start the heat on low as you would with a gas range. Increase heat slowly until the block is ready to use, as described in the gas range instructions. "

Found here:
http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/How-to-Cook-on-Pink-Himalayan-Salt-Blocks

The author has written a book on salt block cooking:

http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/saltblockcooking

Steven is even quoted about the book:

“Mark Bitterman knows more about salt than anyone else on the planet. If you’ve ever wondered what to do with those handsome slabs of Himalayan salt you see at cookware shops, Salt Block Cooking will inspire you with wildly innovative uses you’ve never dreamed of, from cocktails to candy, from curing to grilling, and from ceviche to pizza. Along the way, you’ll learn the half-billion-year history of the only food that starts as a rock.”
--Steven Raichlen, author of the Barbecue! Bible series and host of Primal Grill on PBS"

Cool, thanks!

Return to General Discussion