Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Healthy Barbecue?

Healthy Barbecue?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Don't be afraid to use the words "healthy" and "barbecue" together. In fact, grilling and barbecuing may be two of the oldest forms of healthy cooking out there. How do you think cavemen kept trim?

You don't need a lot of fat to experience a ton of flavor. Use replacements, like wood smoke or spices, to get the full taste of what barbecue can offer.

See Steven's healthy barbecue tips:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/01/06/barbecue-new-health-food/

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I should definitely work on grilling more vegetables. I've had mostly good luck with the ones I've already tried and should expand my horizons a bit.

However, I'm not quite so sure about this "cut back on the butter" thing... :lol:

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Try cutting back on some of the butter and subbing in a decent olive oil in it's place.

Depending on the recipe I'll use 75% olive oil to butter.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:55 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YardBurner wrote:
Try cutting back on some of the butter and subbing in a decent olive oil in it's place.

Depending on the recipe I'll use 75% olive oil to butter.

In addition, an oil mister is a great tool to have in your arsenal. Used properly, they use less oil to coat a surface than drizzling or brushing so that's a savings in fat as well.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion