Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weekend Cooks (lots 'o pics)

Weekend Cooks (lots 'o pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

Had a busy Sunday. Had to break in my new A-Maze-N smoker and try my first batch of bacon. Used Traeger applewood pellets. Getting it going.

Tossed the bacon on and figured why not do some cheese while I'm at it?

Let the cheese go for about 3 hours and then pulled it. At that point, the dome thermometer wasn't even reading 50F. Sometime later in the cook, the bacon looked like this

Pulled at 8.5 hours because I needed the grill for dinner. I think it would have continued to smoke at least another 2 hours if not more.

Made up a recipe for an Italian Meatloaf and tossed it on the Egg indirect at 400 with orange wood chips for smoke. First time seeing them, so I thought I'd try them out.

Got a glaze of marinara when it was almost done. Pulled at 160.

The wife said it tasted just like a meatball...but in a meatloaf form. She was right, as usual. Very tasty.

Monday, I finally got around to slicing the bacon. Played around using a variety of thicknesses to try and figure out what would work best.

Got it all sliced up and sealed for future use

Bacon turned out really good. A bit salty. Might need to rinse it better or soak it some to draw out some of the salt next time, but for a first try, not too shabby.

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It all looks great and I'm really liking that bacon! I see many good breakfasts and BLTs in your future... :wink:

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 am
Griffin well done
well done

Not as many as you'd think. Half of it goes to my brother. He bought the belly and said I could have have if I'd turn it into bacon. Not a bad deal, however.

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:17 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not at all! :thumbup:

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
It all looks great and I'm really liking that bacon! I see many good breakfasts and BLTs in your future... :wink:

Wow, Griffin, I'm really looking forward to hearing how any future attempts turn out too! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion