Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion January's Online Block Party - Spectacular Side Dishes

January's Online Block Party - Spectacular Side Dishes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK - things were a bit delayed by the holiday season and inclement weather, but it looks like we're having another Online Block Party this month. The theme for January is "Spectacular Side Dishes", so let's see what we can come up with!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good choice...after the holidays a few extra veggies would be good for me! :lol:

BBQ Deputy

Here's my first effort. The carrots weren't exactly spectacular but they turned out OK.

I started by whisking some balsamic vinegar into some salted butter, and then I added the carrots.

I cooked the carrots in a grill basket and I'm sure all the butter melted away, but when I returned them to the dish the heat melted the butter into a glaze.

Since I don't eat carrots I made them for my wife, and she thought they would've been better with less vinegar. Still, they did get tender and pick up some nice char.

LGHail rare
rare

Grilled Guacamole? Yes you can.
Just grill everything before you mix it up
How they looked after grilling
And the finished product
It had a nice smoky taste, but I would recommend using a fresh pepper instead of ones from a jar.
Daniel

Grilling is great, it gives me an excuse to play with fire.

BBQ Deputy

Nicely done, Daniel! The main reason I don't like regular guacamole is that it tastes too "green"; does that flavor go away when the ingredients are grilled? It's kind of tough to explain but that's the best word I can think of.

LGHail rare
rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nicely done, Daniel! The main reason I don't like regular guacamole is that it tastes too "green"; does that flavor go away when the ingredients are grilled? It's kind of tough to explain but that's the best word I can think of.

Hard to say, I usually use more lemon/lime juice and hot peppers than most recipes call for so I don't notice that flavor.
Daniel

Grilling is great, it gives me an excuse to play with fire.

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Whoa--love the grilled guacamole.

BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

Love carrots on the grill and love the grilled guacamole. Sometimes we cheat by just grilling the avocado halves and then fill the holes with salsa. Looks neat on a plate and it's great with chips.

Our favorite appetizer is smoked BBQ nachos. We grill a couple chicken breasts marinated in olive oil and Zillions Chili Seasoning, chop them up, and toss with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I assemble the nachos while the grill cools off a bit, then add some hickory for smoke and cook the nachos just long enough to melt the cheese. Sometimes we add other toppings later but when they go on the grill it's just tortilla chips, black beans, the sauced BBQ chicken, Mezzetta Deli Sliced Jalapenos, and a store-bought Mexican cheese blend. It's amazing how much smoke flavor the chips, beans, and cheese absorb in just a few minutes! This nacho tray is perforated so it's great for smoking and it has a detachable handle. It came from Avon, of all places. I don't think they sell it anymore. Maybe SR should make one? :wink:

Nachos.JPG
Nachos.JPG (152.88 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

BBQ Deputy

You should make those nachos for the Super Bowl, BP...I think they'd be a big hit!

Return to General Discussion