Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your opinion needed: great multi-fuel grill?

Your opinion needed: great multi-fuel grill?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, everyone,

A reader wants to buy a great affordably priced multi-fuel grill. Something you can burn propane, charcoal, and even wood in.

Any models you particularly like?

Thanks!

SR

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The ones I've seen in stores and at home & garden shows have all been fairly expensive. At this time of year he might want to check out the shows as sometimes special deals are available; otherwise, his best bet to get a high-end grill (like a Kalamazoo) at a better price might be to wait until this fall's clearance sales.

Steven, do you have a multi-fuel model in your collection or at the BBQU campus?

sroach well done
well done

Steven,

I owned a Chargriller duo. Great grill that did propane or charcoal. I added the side fire box that allowed you to use the charcoal side as a smoker.

http://www.chargriller.com/index.php?pa ... 1&Itemid=1

jayeffel well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Steven,

I owned a Chargriller duo. Great grill that did propane or charcoal. I added the side fire box that allowed you to use the charcoal side as a smoker.

You cam burn wood in the CharGrliller Duo/Trio , either the charcoal side or side fire box. Need to watch size of wood.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jayeffel wrote:
sroach wrote:
Steven,

You cam burn wood in the CharGrliller Duo/Trio , either the charcoal side or side fire box. Need to watch size of wood.

These have been popular on this board since they came out. The Trio is just a Duo with a SFB on the charcoal half, but they're really nice rigs for the price (especially on sale!). :D

And yes, a CG will work as a stick burner as long as the fire doesn't get too hot. In fact I've done this using seasoned birch on the main charcoal grate (not the SFB) and the adjustable charcoal tray makes it work fairly well within limits (it isn't a Kalamazoo, after all). So the best thing to do is keep the lid open if you're grilling over wood, and keep the vents closed if the wood is in the SFB.

What I'd really like to see CG come up with is a gasser-Outlaw-SFB combo. I still love my Outlaw after 6 years of wild weather up here in Canada.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion