Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sesame-garlic chicken thighs

Sesame-garlic chicken thighs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last weekend I tried something a little different with some chicken thighs. I started by toasting some sesame seeds, roasting 3 small heads of garlic, and mixing them together.

Then I added some softened butter and let the mixture harden in the refrigerator.

I cut the butter into quarters and put each under the skin of a thigh, and then toothpicked the skin in place.
Image Image Image

They went over a hot (400F+) indirect fire and finished earlier than I had planned, as the internal temperature was easily over 180F when I took them off.

The meat was still moist even though it was quite done, and the skin was nice and crisp. The sesame garlic paste added a mildly nutty, mellow flavor without the strong taste of raw garlic.

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:44 pm
sroach well done
well done

SC,

Sounds awesome. Was there any garlic butter left at the end or did it all melt in to the thighs.

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! If you look closely at the last photo you can see some of the paste, so it actually stayed with the chicken fairly well. However, I'm not sure how much of the butter was still in it although there wasn't much in the drip pan, and as moist as the meat stayed some of the butter must've gotten into it.

The roasted garlic was a nice change of pace - I should use it more often.

Post Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:05 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice twist on an old classic, Brad! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion