Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Barbecue Trends for 2014

Barbecue Trends for 2014

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:29 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Grilled octopus, cold smoking, and gigantic steaks: These are a few of the predictions Steven has for 2014.

Get them all:
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/01/17/better-late-never-predictions-barbecue-2014/

What do you see in the future of barbecue?

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Put me down for one of those really big steaks but I'm not so sure about the grilled octopus. :lol:

Are the suckers and skin removed from the tentacle prior to eating?

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Generally, you skin and gut them and remove the beak and eyes, but the suckers stay on the tentacles.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I think in general, BBQ folks tend to be traditionalists.. I know I go to old standards most of the time. Grilled veggies and fruit are probably considered standard by now (not when I was growing up.) I would expect with the increasing Latin American population, we'll see more spices and recipes from South of the Border. IMO, BBQ is not a "trendy" pursuit. As long as it tastes good, it will be absorbed.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

No love for the octopus? That's the part I was drooling over! Sign me up for anything from the ocean that's grilled.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've had calamari before so I think I'd probably give the octopus a try, but I'm used to it being in smaller pieces and rings. Seeing the whole tentacle like that puts a different twist on it!

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Way back about 20 years ago, the Real Canadian Superstore put out a pretty decent grilling video and one of the recipes was grilled octopus. If the tape doesn't fall apart I'll try to grab it and write it down, as it's been about 15 years since I cooked it. I do recall that it was in a red wine vinegar marinade, and that it was very tasty. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion