Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jucy Lucias

Jucy Lucias

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:42 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So last week I had this great idea: a Jucy Lucy but made with Italian flavors and seasonings. Should be a no-brainer, right?

I started with a pound of ground beef and added a medium (12-14 oz. or so) can of tomato paste and a handful of dry Italian seasoning.
Image Image

I cut some small mozzarella batons and wrapped them with prosciutto.
Image Image

Then I built the burgers by molding the ground beef mixture around the packages and wrapping them with another piece of prosciutto.

Jucy Lucia? No, Sloppy Giuseppe was more like it! I was hoping the moisture in the tomato paste would dry up and it would help bind the ground beef, but the burgers wound up having very little structure and basically fell apart at the slightest touch. :oops: The flavor wasn't bad but the process needs work! :wink:

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

Bummer that it didn't work. When I first read "Jucy Lucy with Italian flavor and seasonings", my brain immediately jumped to having Italian sausage incorporated in the burger. Kind of surprised you didn't go there. Bet it could be good, maybe half ground beef half Italian sausage. Like the idea of the mozz and proscuito.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 am
BBQ Deputy

You're definitely right about using Italian sausage! I think it would've made a huge difference.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:11 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
You're definitely right about using Italian sausage! I think it would've made a huge difference.

I think you may be partly right, but I also think there was too much tomato paste added. A tablespoon or two would have given you a really good tomato taste without watering down the burgers as much. I only use a full can as you described for an entire pot of spaghetti sauce.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 am
BBQ Deputy

You're dead on about the tomato paste. I started with a little bit and it just didn't seem like enough so I kept adding... :oops: :lol:

Return to General Discussion