Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Super Bowl Dips

Super Bowl Dips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

What's almost as important as the actual game on Super Bowl Sunday? The dips! Get three great recipes to try out at your get-together this weekend:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/01/28/grilled-dips-super-bowl/

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Grilled dips like that almost make me want to host a party, but then I remember that it would involve having guests and the feeling passes. :wink: :lol:

However, I'm definitely going to keep the dips in mind for this summer. There are always a couple of potlucks/cookouts we attend and these recipes would be perfect.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:37 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Try adding plain yogurt to the grilled eggplant dip. It makes it creamy and gives additional tangy flavor. I’m from Middle Eastern origin and that’s how we did it back home.
ImageFree Image Hosting

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBcue-Z wrote:
Try adding plain yogurt to the grilled eggplant dip. It makes it creamy and gives additional tangy flavor. I’m from Middle Eastern origin and that’s how we did it back home.

I'm actually of Scottish/Irish descent, but many of my friends and coworkers are of Middle Eastern or Greek origin as well, and I have to agree with BBQ-Z here. This dip is a variant of baba ghanoush and it's quite good, but adding yogurt makes it even better. (And it's one of the only ways I like to eat eggplant, too, because I don't like the skins at all.)

Another really great substitute for plain yogurt is Balkan-style or Greek yogurt. I grab the Balkan-style stuff wherever I can - it's about 3% butterfat rather than 1% or fat free, but it has a very rich texture like full-fat sour cream. And the taste is much tangier than regular plain yogurt so it really enhances the flavor of dips.

I also use it in place of sour cream, and for Greek tzatziki there's really no substitute, either.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:25 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I agree CG, Greek yogurt is the best for this application.

Her is a version of the eggplant dip without Tahini or yogurt; it calls for pomegranate molasses instead. Also the addition of grilled onions, peppers and tomatoes
Veggies grilled over ember
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Great idea! Even though it's not grilled, I always add Greek yogurt to my guacamole. It makes it creamier and you add volume without making it unhealthy.

Return to General Discussion