Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint America's new BBQ Mecca--Brooklyn?!

America's new BBQ Mecca--Brooklyn?!

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

In September, I went on a BBQ road trip. I gorged plate-burying beef ribs, world class ribs, briskets that would make a Texan homesick, and smoked beef that redefines the notion of pastrami.

And where did I have all this amazing food? Brooklyn, NY! My short list of must-try places includes Fette Sau, Brisket Town, Mile End Deli, and the new Hometown Bar-B-Que (the latter profiled in this week's blog: http://barbecuebible.com/2013/12/03/masters-smoke-hometown/#.UqCCI6U5vwI

Any New Yorkers / Brooklynites out there? Where are YOU eating? For that matter, where should I head to try YOUR favorite 'que anywhere in North America?

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:26 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

I've never had any NYC BBQ, but you have to visit Monroe County, KY sometime for some double-dipped pork shoulder. Although Kentucky is known for Owensboro's black dip and mutton, I prefer Monroe County's hickory-grilled pork slices with the spicy vinegar dip. Thing is, Monroe County is in the middle of nowhere. Smokey Pig in the metropolis of Bowling Green is much easier to visit from I-65 if you ever find yourself in between Nashville & Louisville, and their Monroe County-style BBQ is as good as anything in T-ville (or better)!
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Steven, its been a pretty great few years for BBQ in NYC (finally!). Fette Sau is one of the oldest of this new wave, and i have to say they are still my hands-down favorite. just incredible meats perfectly done every time. Brisket Town and Hometown are not bad at all, though the lamb belly at hometown feels like novelty for novelty's sake...Mighty Quinns, which i saw you featured recently on your site, is probably the second best in town, though it doesn't have nearly the pleasant atmosphere of Fette Sau (nor the whisky collection). Pretty incredible burnt ends, though. There is a Dinosaur branch that recently opened in Brooklyn that should be avoided at all cost, which is too bad since whatever they are pumping into the air around there wafts for blocks and always puts me in the mood for some brisket. The only other place not on your list that i think is worth a visit is Fletchers on 3rd ave in the Park Slope / Gowanus area. The food is delicious, though more expensive than any of these others (which already aren't cheap) and not exactly in a fancy enough part of town to warrant the markup. In any event, compared to what was available 5 years ago we are living in a bbq golden age in NYC, so i'll take it while it lasts...

-mike

Post Fri May 02, 2014 3:52 pm
batman raw
raw

NYC has more BBQ than ever. We should be grateful :)

Post Tue May 27, 2014 7:20 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Ran across this little gem in Manhattan - no time to go in... Has anyone been here? Any good? Yelp is pretty lukewarm about it.

Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's too bad that you didn't have time to stop. I generally take Yelp reviews with a grain of salt and don't take them too seriously if they seem like they were texted from a teenage girl's phone. :lol: Could you smell smoke when you passed?

Return to Best BBQ Joint