Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mother's Day Menu

Mother's Day Menu

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:21 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

With Mother's Day fast approaching, are you doing anything special for the moms in your life? You should be! Start planning your menu so you can show your love through food.

Read about Steven's own mother and get his Mother's Day menu.

Post Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven's mentioned his mother in several books but until reading his blog post I didn't realize she passed away so young. :(

I'm not sure when we're celebrating this year. On the actual day Mrs. Chicken and I will be in Milwaukee at a baseball game so I'll have to ask our older daughter what the plans are. She usually sets up these things. :lol:

Post Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm
batman raw
raw

Special BBQ for Mother's day, that's a great idea!

Post Sat May 10, 2014 8:32 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Well, I asked my wife on Thursday about what she wanted to eat.....I thought the response would be to go out to a restaurant in the area. I was pleasantly surprised when she said "I would like for you to cook a steak" for me :D :D My response was to ask what piece of meat she wanted. She said either New York Strip or a T-bone....hmmmmmm. Well, I was discussing this with my younger son yesterday, he is 24 years old, and we came up with the idea of surf-n-turf as my wife loves King Crab. So, fast forward to today and she goes with me when I go grocery shopping. We go to our local meat market and pick up the steaks and other meat for the week. We then go down to the fish counter and she sees someone else picking up some King Crab...her comment was "I wish that is what I asked for" for tomorrow. I then ordered some crab and told her that we were planning on surf-n-turf all along! I'll also be cooking some corn on the cob as well. Happy Mothers Day to all of the Mothers out there!!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Last night was Mojo marinaged grilled pork tenderloins with apple/cranberry chutney, Chipoltle, honey sweet potatoes, and lima beans.

This morning I continued a long tradition with my wife, presenting a shrimp, tasso, and Asiago Quiche, and a Italian sausage, spinach, and fontina quiche. Yes real men cook and eat quiche.

Tonight fried catfish with organic, stone ground, yellow, cheese grits. Hush puppies of course.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice work, guys! Both of those menus sound excellent and I hope everything went off without a hitch! That shrimp, tasso, & asiago quiche must be fantastic...

I dropped off presents at my parents' house Saturday and yesterday Mrs. Chicken and I had Mother's Day at Miller Park in Milwaukee, so no cooking for me other than grilling up a few brats and making up some pasta salad the night before. We did, however, stop for pizza on the way home. :wink:

Post Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 am
Trollby well done
well done

Our Mothers Day plans got blown to heck.....

My son came down with gastritis and coming out both ends this weekend, so just stayed home with sick kid and did not grill since he could not eat anything and mom said don't make a big meal

Post Mon May 12, 2014 12:00 pm
toyman medium
medium

Had a busy work week last week along with a full Saturday at a golf outing. So, I did my Mom's day cooking on Friday night. Put a 7# eye of round roast I had left over from a cow I had butchered on my BGE when I got home from work. Took about 2 hours to get to 125*. I made bread dough on Wednesday and had a few dozen buns rising before I put the roast on. Then, just to round out the cook, a big batch of French onion soup on the stove top. Everything came together very well, and I was finished cooking around 9:00 pm. Had a houseful with both our families coming for dinner. I sliced the entire roast thinly and then put it all in a dutch oven with au jus for a few hours and it was melt in your mouth delicious on the homemade buns. We didn't have enough French onion crocks for everyone, so I melted cheese on slices of French bread ahead of time so everyone could drop that in their bowl before the soup.

I hope everyone and their mother had a great mother's day! (Trollby, sorry yours didn't work out)
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Tue May 13, 2014 12:14 pm
BBQ Deputy

Dang, Trollby, that hurts just reading about it! I hope your son's doing better; fortunately kids generally have pretty short recovery times!

And Toyman, that sounds like a great meal - tough to beat beef sandwiches with onion soup!

Post Wed May 14, 2014 8:06 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Like the past several years, I did the cooking for Mom on Mother;s Day. And we have the same every year: steak, potatoes, and some sort of veggies. This year it was bone-in rib-eye steaks, with baked potatoes, green salad, and asparagus cookied in foil on the grill. They don't like the asparagus rafts and with the state of their grill I wouldn't cook them that way anyway.

Mother's Day was also a bit of a sad event, as my Dad's rusted-out grill died just as the cook finished. The burners finally gave out so the rear of the unit became one big sear burner. At least I didn't need to clean the grates afterwards, anyway.

The good news is that all 3 of the CI grates were in good shape, so they'll fit the CharGriller, at least. And since a lot of good grills come on sale up here in the next couple of weeks, I foresee a father-son grill shopping trip in the works, just in time for Father's Day. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 am
BBQ Deputy

At least his grill died with its boots on! :lol: Was there a big "whoosh" when the burners let go?

Post Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
At least his grill died with its boots on! :lol: Was there a big "whoosh" when the burners let go?

Nope. Just a big hotspot along the back of the grill, and the sound of sizzling rib-eye steaks. This was what caught my attention, actually - the grill never got hot enough before to do that. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 17, 2014 10:50 pm
BBQ Deputy

So basically the best steaks the grill ever produced happened while it was in its death throes? :lol:

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:03 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
So basically the best steaks the grill ever produced happened while it was in its death throes? :lol:

That's right! Best sear I've ever gotten on that particular grill. I was even able to cook some rare, some medium-rare, and some well-done just by adjusting the grilling times and moving steaks to the "safe zone" where there was only a little heat from the dying burners. :D

I know that well-done isn't the proper way to cook any steak, but that's the only way my folks will eat it. Even the slightest bit of pink causes them to make polite remarks and then leave the rest of the steak on the plate.

They just got a Brinkmann gas grill this past weekend. It doesn't look like much so we'll have to see if it holds up. Turns out the previous grill wasn't covered all of the time like they said - meaning the only time it was covered was likely when I covered it. They hopefully won't make the same mistake this time around.

Return to General Discussion