Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What happened to the wayback machine

What happened to the wayback machine

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:32 am

So I was just trying to access the archive and its gone.... whyyyyyy :cry: that is too much knowledge to just disappear into thin air

Post Thu May 15, 2014 8:32 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We had some technical issues a couple of years ago and some threads were unfortunately lost. :( But if you have some specific questions in mind please fire away!

Post Thu May 15, 2014 9:35 am

nothing specific, was just going to look through some of the old threads to get some ideas of what to do with my old char griller

Post Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

So go ahead and ask, what have you got to loose, some one may be lurking in the shadows with some answers, quite a few members here were Char griller owners.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri May 16, 2014 11:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Old Smoker wrote:
So go ahead and ask, what have you got to loose, some one may be lurking in the shadows with some answers, quite a few members here were Char griller owners.

Were? I still AM a CharGriller owner... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:54 pm
jstewart well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Old Smoker wrote:

Were? I still AM a CharGriller owner... :D

Me too!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 am

i am looking for a few ideas on how to contain a some of the smoke and maintain temp a little better b4 i moved back to the south i had no issue maintaining temp but as of late i am throwing coals in there about every 30 mins

Post Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 am
Trollby well done
well done

You need to use Minion method for your fire box, I can get 3 1/2 - 4 hours out of 1 load (I normally add coals around 3 - 3 1/2 hours if I want to keep temps steady)

Post Tue May 20, 2014 7:51 pm
jstewart well done
well done

I'll second what Trollby said about using the Minion method. I use home-made baskets that sit on straps that I put in the side firebox. I generally can get about 6 hours per basket unless it is windy or cold and then it drops down a bit. You mentioned about looking for ideas to "contain the smoke." Do you feel like it is leaking around the lid or any other openings? Just trying to get an idea before suggesting some mods.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am

i use the minion method with one of those modified baskets from lowes in the SFB. I get about 2 hours at 225 then its down hill from there. once the temp lowers its hard to get it back. I feel like it is smoking a little much around the lid and a few other gaps and holes in the barrel. Since I have a new Chargrller Hybrid I will only use the older one for smoking. I will probably get rid of the charcoal tray and look to add some type of railing to make a flat surface for water pans. not sure yet. I will go out and clean it out tomorrow and wipe it down real good to get ready for the official start day of grilling

Post Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 am
Trollby well done
well done

Well it sounds like you maybe using the coals too hot and using them up too fast.

This could be due to several issues:
1. I would look at how much leakage you have
2. maybe a chimney mod might help to keep heat in
3. Adding too much hot coals and not enough minion coals

Using an Aluminum drier duct is perfect size, it brings the out-take down to cover lower left corner and heat don't just go up and out.

Post Thu May 22, 2014 3:08 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

That's a clever idea. Thumbs up.

Post Fri May 23, 2014 12:34 pm
Trollby well done
well done

One thing I do that is kind of "cheating" is to preheat my cook chamber when smoking, I take the far side (left) and have a basket with some coals and the rest goes in the fire-box minion method.
I do not reload these coals on the left, just use for the first 1/2 hour to hour until the coals are dead (I load it and get smoker hot like 250*F or so before adding meats so is 15-20 min preheat)

These coal die out pretty quick and since everything is preheated the firebox can be closed down nice and last longer

Post Fri May 23, 2014 2:06 pm
jstewart well done
well done

udratherbme,

Not sure where you are losing smoke, but here are some links and pics that I came across. The first one contains a number of pictures (not mine) showing how the SFB and chamber can be sealed. You can see how the main chamber is sealed. I've used a product made by Rutland, which is a flat rope-like material and glue it to the SFB openings with high temp silicone.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15231&p=148348#p148348

Here are some pictures of my CG:

I've found sealing the SFB helps maintain temps better. The way the basket sits in the SFB allows air to flow through to keep the temps up. Additionally, I can pull the ash drawer out to help get temps up and close it when the temps are where I want them.

The rope sealer is attached to the SFB, not the drawer.

Here is a picture of the straps that I mounted in the SFB with screws. It sits just above the edge of the ash tray:

Here is another shot with the basket sitting on the straps:
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's not the original thread and it's not the original 50+ pages, but you may find some mods on the CharGriller Family thread that may help you:
http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22251
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion