Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New BBQ App available

New BBQ App available

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm
moontz raw
raw

Just released a BBQ app on iOS (called The Pit Pal) and looking for feedback. If you have a chance to take a look and have an iOS or Android device we'd appreciate any feedback. Its not a recipe book app or something similar. It's for recording cook logs, temp charts, etc. Mostly for the guys/girls with smokers who ar elooking to help consistency. Let us know what u think if you got a few minutes to try it out.

iOS version - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-pit ... 14168?mt=8
Android version - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bdm.pitpal

Thanks for the help :)

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:33 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Why does the app require the use of GPS?

Post Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 am
moontz raw
raw

smokeybeaver wrote:

Nothing fancy. Just prefills the location when you create a new cook so you don't have to.

Post Thu May 22, 2014 2:58 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

Then, how is a GPS formatted 'location' usable to the individual as opposed to a user friendly typed location if this function is desired? This use of GPS and your explanation tends to create a feeling that there is a nefarious reason behind the 'need' for GPS formatted location data, NOT our convenience. Leave this data entry as a user input OPTION if it is user desired information. Don't assume that everyone has adopted the attitude that tracking information is acceptable. I'm afraid that our own NSA has started to awaken the sleeping tiger.

Post Thu May 22, 2014 3:50 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Sales guy I bet or is involved with the App since only two post and both in this.

I never trust "New" accounts recommendations

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 am
sroach well done
well done

I took a look at it on the iTunes store. Looks like a nice app, screens look nice but here is my take on it. Maybe I am wrong, but why is a home user (non restaurant, or caterer) going to get out of tracking your cooks and the temps.

I mean for most of us on this board that do at most a few briskets a month which I do a few a year, we have our technique down, we know how to keep our "rigs" at the temperature we want with in good reason.

So I guess my question is what will historical data do for me?

Post Sat May 24, 2014 1:05 am
moontz raw
raw

Donald1800 wrote:
Then, how is a GPS formatted 'location' usable to the individual as opposed to a user friendly typed location if this function is desired? This use of GPS and your explanation tends to create a feeling that there is a nefarious reason behind the 'need' for GPS formatted location data, NOT our convenience. Leave this data entry as a user input OPTION if it is user desired information. Don't assume that everyone has adopted the attitude that tracking information is acceptable. I'm afraid that our own NSA has started to awaken the sleeping tiger.

Thanks for the feedback. The location is not being used for anything except filling in the little text box on the first page when you create a cook. We used to not even have it, then got a number of requests asking why the user has to type it in when the phone should know it. Guess we cant please everyone :) Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated and we will revisit if it makes sense to auto fill the location.

Post Sat May 24, 2014 1:14 am
moontz raw
raw

Trollby wrote:
Sales guy I bet or is involved with the App since only two post and both in this.

I never trust "New" accounts recommendations

LOL. I'm not sure a little BBQ app deserves its own dedicated sales guy :) I joined the forum to get feedback on the app and also to let people know in case they would like to use it. No worries if you are not comfortable downloading it.

Also, I used to have an account on here for some time when I had my char griller and was very active on the CG mods threads. But I cannot for the life of me remember my username/pw so had to create a new one unfortunately. Oh well.
Last edited by moontz on Sat May 24, 2014 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat May 24, 2014 1:21 am
moontz raw
raw

sroach wrote:
I took a look at it on the iTunes store. Looks like a nice app, screens look nice but here is my take on it. Maybe I am wrong, but why is a home user (non restaurant, or caterer) going to get out of tracking your cooks and the temps.

I mean for most of us on this board that do at most a few briskets a month which I do a few a year, we have our technique down, we know how to keep our "rigs" at the temperature we want with in good reason.

So I guess my question is what will historical data do for me?

Many of the Pit Pal users are in the competition scene and that is why we originally created it. But there are more folks than you might expect who like to experiment with different sauces, techniques, etc and then have notes to go back and see what might have changed this cook that made the brisket taste a little better than last cook. But to each his own and your right, if you do not care about cook logs or historical data or bells and whistles, its probably of no benefit to you. More than anything, its just another gadget if youre a gadget kind of person.

Post Sat May 24, 2014 12:53 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

moontz wrote:
smokeybeaver wrote:

Nothing fancy. Just prefills the location when you create a new cook so you don't have to.

Thanks for the reply. I will give this a shot on my next cook.

Return to General Discussion