Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spring Cleaning

Spring Cleaning

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 19, 2014 8:11 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Well it's time to get the old Weber out for a good cleaning and tune up for the summer grilling season. Here if Florida I grill year round, but summer is full throttle, every night I can strike a match, bring your A game time.

What do you do to clean your grill/smoker?
What is a good degreaser? What kind of soap do you use?

Looks like with meat prices rising and meat markets getting saavy to the "cheaper cuts" I'll be seeing a lot of pork, chicken, and here in Florida, seafood.

Ladies and Gentlemen START YOUR FIRES.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon May 19, 2014 11:50 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Good question. I'm a neat freak. For the WSM and the one touch kettle - Your mileage may vary, but this works for me.

Personally, I use hot water with a little dish soap and a squirt of lemon juice to cut the grease on the outside of the unit. I go through a lot of rags and sponges so I buy a bunch just for a spit shine session. After that I follow up with some simple green, and then stainless steel cleaner for a streak free buff. That's what I basically do. I drill out the holes in my gas lighter feeder tube on the one touch. I use oven cleaner on the stainless grate and make sure the CI grate has a light coating of vegetable oil on it. I clean out and scrub the ash bucket with hot water. Make sure you dry everything well, you don't want any rusty parts.

For the Parrilla (Iron Argentinian Grill)

I lightly coat the grate with vegetable oil. I check the lock nut on the friction lock to make sure the plastic on the inside hasn't melted and tighten it against the spring. That's all that needs.

Season prep - would love to see everyone else's checklist

Buy lots of towels, fire starters, sponges, extra tongs, welding gloves, work gloves (I use these to grab the charcoal out of the bag and place it where I want it) 5 lbs of suckle busters hog waller, wood chunks, a couple packets of lighters, Aluminum Foil, Ziploc bags.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm
Trollby well done
well done

For me I do a Spring and Fall cleaning.

This year only need to clean up the Char-Griller since the Propane grill is going Bye-Bye when Fathers-day sales start on Weber grills.

My Gas grill routine in the past has been:

remove as much as possible from inside (cooking grates, ceramic briquets, briquet rack, warming rack)
Then I clean the inside out with scrape and scoop of everything.
Hose out
As I reassemble I clean all parts

Then I do a nice burn to dry and when done Oil down the grates and warming shelf

About every 3-4 years I did a complete cleaning with Simple green and scrubbed the unit clean (burner replacement years) then installed the new burner

The CG I just wipe out and clean it really good then oil it down.

Since it is cast grates I don't want to mess with the seasoning.

I have only used hot water in the CG and use shop vac to clean all the loose stuff.

I make sure to dry it out and heat up to oil everything down (inside and Out)

--- Edit ---
I should add that I clean the grills every time I cook so grill is pretty clean, just the Spring and fall cleans are above and beyond normal scrap and empty ash, etc

Post Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have to admit I'm a slacker when it comes to cleaning my grills. I keep the grates brushed and dump out the ash, but the only other thing I occasionally do is scrape out any chunks of fused juice/fat/ash from the bottom. I like to think of the layer of dust on the outside as an extra protective coating. :lol:

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:18 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I have to admit I'm a slacker when it comes to cleaning my grills. I keep the grates brushed and dump out the ash, but the only other thing I occasionally do is scrape out any chunks of fused juice/fat/ash from the bottom. I like to think of the layer of dust on the outside as an extra protective coating. :lol:

Same here. I season all my grills heavily when I first get them, so all I usually do to clean off crud is use a $3 wallpaper scraper. I remove the grates and burner covers and give them a good brushing with a wire brush and Steven's grill scraper, check the burners, then scrape everything down to the bottom of the grill. Then it takes about a minute to suck up all the scraped bits with a Shop Vac, and then I give the whole thing a good wipe down with a paper towel or a clean shop rag (which then is used to light my burn barrels when needed).

Then all I do is heat up the grill to medium, brush it with oil, and let it cool down, and it's ready to go for the season. If I'm cooking a lot with sauces I'll repeat the process once a month or even more often.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion