Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Anyone have any experience with Apache chili peppers?

Anyone have any experience with Apache chili peppers?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I have 4 Apache chili plants growing and they are just starting to grow some little peppers but finding info on the peppers is not easy.

I am reading they are 1-2 thousand on the scouville scale and I read 50-80 thousand on the scouville scale so between 1 and 80 thousand is pretty significant.

Anyone have any real life experience with them?

jayeffel well done
well done

Not sure I want to experience them!! Is there any easy way to determine the heat of any hot pepper before using it in a recipe? I made BBQ beans this weekend and used the same amount off jalapeno peppers as before, less than sometimes. But the beans were a least twice as hot as before.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

BubbaQue well done
well done

I always heard size matters. The smaller chillis are hottest. I make a jalapeno corn bread and I always take out the seeds and viens. I also have been using Poblanos a lot in recipes that call for bell peppers. Not much heat but more chilli flavor. I've never heard of an Apache Chilli. Did you start from seed or plant. Take a picture and let us see it.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Old Smoker well done
well done

22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jayeffel wrote:
Is there any easy way to determine the heat of any hot pepper before using it in a recipe?
Hand it to someone and say, "Nah, it's not hot at all." :twisted:

For home cooks I don't know of any method other than tasting.

Return to General Discussion