Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled Pork or should I say Mushed Pork......

Pulled Pork or should I say Mushed Pork......

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
CamG medium
medium

Hi,
The few times I have made pulled pork it turned out great. It pulled away with long shreds / strands

This weekend after pulling / shredding it with two forks it looked like something that came out of a can. It was small pieces that sort of resembled dog food when I mixed in the sauce.

I am wondering what might have caused this.

I used 2 pork blade roast 6lbs each, smoked them for about 10 hours at 220 and took them off at around 180 internal temp.

I do have to say that it still tasted great, just didn't look like pulled pork should.

any thoughts ?

Thanks
Cam

scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Did you foil them and let them sit for any amount of time? 180 seems a bit shy of where I pull them, so I'm surprised that happened. Did you inject them? What did you baste with? Sounds almost like either they are overcooked (most likely) or a tissue breakdown due to acid in a marinade or injection...
Last edited by scorched_porch on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Also - check your therms... Could be off. After 10 hours @ 220 I would think that you'd have an IT of more than 180.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cam, did you buy a different brand of pork or from a different location this time? For them to break down like that my first thought would be that perhaps they were enhanced.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Cam, did you buy a different brand of pork or from a different location this time? For them to break down like that my first thought would be that perhaps they were enhanced.

That was my first thought as well. I've had this happen with so-called "enhanced" pork butts and ribs and it bugged me so much I quit buying pork from that store.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion