Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 01, 2014 10:49 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

awwww my favorite beer all the way around is budwiser
TIMS BBQ

Post Fri May 02, 2014 9:46 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Everybody needs a go-to beer that won't break the bank. In my case it's usually Leinenkugel's.

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

Many people under thirty think that since IPA are being pushed like there is no tomorrow,
that they must order it with everything.

IPA originated in India ( India Pale Ale) when the English needed a beer to compete with ( drink with)spicy Indian food.

So bitter IPA was created, and I drink it ONLY with spicy foods, from a heavy chili peppered brisket,
to a spicy burrito.

However, when I'm bbqing some chicken or pork with a cherry or pear wood, I like Miller High Life.
I find it perfect, not overwhelming the meat. And it is my go to beer in the summer. Refreshing.

All other beers are ok, and I've tried lots of them. Actually, when I'm in Wisconsin as I was recently, I always buy and drink Point beer. And Linenkugel finally made it out of Wisconsin, for national distribution. I enjoyed it 20 years ago, when in Illinois( some small grocers had it near the border).

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

JPET wrote:
Many people under thirty think that since IPA are being pushed like there is no tomorrow,
that they must order it with everything.

IPA originated in India ( India Pale Ale) when the English needed a beer to compete with ( drink with)spicy Indian food.

So bitter IPA was created, and I drink it ONLY with spicy foods, from a heavy chili peppered brisket,
to a spicy burrito.

However, when I'm bbqing some chicken or pork with a cherry or pear wood, I like Miller High Life.
I find it perfect, not overwhelming the meat. And it is my go to beer in the summer. Refreshing.

All other beers are ok, and I've tried lots of them. Actually, when I'm in Wisconsin as I was recently, I always buy and drink Point beer. And Linenkugel finally made it out of Wisconsin, for national distribution. I enjoyed it 20 years ago, when in Illinois( some small grocers had it near the border).

I've been drinking IPAs for 25 years, but lately it seems to have become a fad. There's a craft beer pub across the street from my workplace that serves 125 brands, and over 35 of them are IPAs at any given time. And now it seems that from a craft brewing perspective IPA means anything from "slightly more hops than usual" to "so bitter you can barely drink it".

My guess is that like any other beer fad, IPAs will eventually fade and be replaced by something else.

Now I like an IPA occasionally, but I prefer a Big Rock Pale Ale on a hot day. Lots of body but it's mildly hopped - sort of like a full-bodied lager with a different hop profile.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 8:07 am
BBQ Deputy

CharredGriller wrote:
There's a craft beer pub across the street from my workplace that serves 125 brands
Now that's what I call a job benefit! :lol:

Post Wed May 28, 2014 9:24 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

IPA's can get a little to crazy with the bitterness especially west coast IPA's. I do think IPA's go well with fatty foods it feels like it scrubs the grease off your tongue :bbq: but I do agree it is kind of a fad beer. I think the next wave in craft beer will be low ABV session beers. I no longer have the alcohol tolerance I did when I was in my twenties it is nice to be able to drink a couple beers and not end up smashed. There is a beer garden I go to that has a dark lager from the Czech Republic called krusovice cerne great taste and only 3.5 ABV you can have a good amount of this beer and still be able to function. :cheers:

Post Thu May 29, 2014 1:50 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
There's a craft beer pub across the street from my workplace that serves 125 brands
Now that's what I call a job benefit! :lol:

You bet. Even the high prices of the beer don't stop my team from having a "safety meeting" there every month. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 30, 2014 11:37 am
BBQ Deputy

wiseguy wrote:
I think the next wave in craft beer will be low ABV session beers.
It does seem like a few more of them are showing up in the stores. One of the local breweries here has one that I haven't tried yet, but it seems like it might be a good choice for an afternoon of grilling or smoking.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:54 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

That would have to be Pacifico. Ice Cold. Tome Pacifico, Nada Mas.

36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

scorched_porch wrote:
That would have to be Pacifico. Ice Cold. Tome Pacifico, Nada Mas.

My former bass player says it has a metallic taste but he likes it better than Corona. As for me, Pacifico is one of my favorites on a hot day. :D

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:52 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I bought some Krusovice Cerne after I read "wiseguy's" assertions.

It was very good. $2.60 for the big bottle.

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:54 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

JPET wrote:
I bought some Krusovice Cerne after I read "wiseguy's" assertions.

It was very good. $2.60 for the big bottle.

Good beer if you're planning to drink a lot. My go to beer when I go to a biergarten that serves beer in 1 liter mugs.

:cheers:

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:23 am
Dgrey87 raw
raw

I'm kind of into spanish/latin beer like san miguel or corona

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Welcome to the board Dgrey87 :cheers:
I become a craft beer geek over the years but I have no problem drinking Corona. As for San Miguel I never heard of that beer in my area.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Dgrey87!

While on vacation last week I had a chance to drink some Rhoades' Scholar Stout, which isn't always easily available at home. It's easily my favorite South Shore beer and one of the better stouts out there.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion