Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Using Charcoal Twice?

Using Charcoal Twice?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 am
BaasPro medium
medium

Lately I've been closing the bottom and top vents on my Weber as soon as I'm done cooking. The charcoal that doesn't completely burn up can be used the next time, so instead of lighting a whole chimney for my next cook I just light half a chimney and pour those coals on the old coals. It's been awhile since I've used a whole chimney and I'm definitely saving money on charcoal this summer. Anybody else do this? Any reason not to?
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 am
tex_toby well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
Lately I've been closing the bottom and top vents on my Weber as soon as I'm done cooking. The charcoal that doesn't completely burn up can be used the next time, so instead of lighting a whole chimney for my next cook I just light half a chimney and pour those coals on the old coals. It's been awhile since I've used a whole chimney and I'm definitely saving money on charcoal this summer. Anybody else do this? Any reason not to?

Yes - I do it all the time. I could never do this with my old Chargriller (could never seal off good enough to snuff the fire), but once I got my Gator I've done it ever since. Nothing wrong with that!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Sounds like standard procedure in Kamado cookers; last time I used my CharGriller I transfered the coals into the Akorn and closed it up. Used the remnant next cook in the Akorn. I left them on the bottom and put new lit charcoal on top.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 pm
Askanison medium
medium

i do this all the time too.
one of the reasons i started using my weber kettle more.
i orignally bought it for that old school felling but now love the control.

like jay said my chargriller would just use it all up.
i've barely used my chargriller this year.
if i continue its lack of use i may have to craigslist it.
but i have more space on it for the bigger cooks.
decisions decisions.
Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm
jstewart well done
well done

I do this quite often when using my Weber Kettle. It sure makes the charcoal last a lot longer!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Whatever dripped on the charcoal during the first cook is a nice bonus the second time around, too!

In my Webers I use 2 charcoal grates set 90 degrees to each other so that less drops through and there's more to burn the next time around.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:12 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jstewart wrote:
I do this quite often when using my Weber Kettle. It sure makes the charcoal last a lot longer!

Same here. While my CG doesn't burn up the charcoal completely anymore since I made some more modifications, there still isn't a lot of charcoal left in the basket after a cook. However, my little Weber Smokey Joe Platinum always has a lot of charcoal left after a cook so I reuse it often.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion