Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Alabama white chicken

Alabama white chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A couple of weeks ago I grilled some chicken drumsticks Alabama-style but changed things a little bit. One of my other grilling books uses the white sauce as a marinade so I decided to try that first.

Can't pass up those impulse buys at the store! :wink:

I used charcoal alone so the chicken didn't get particularly brown. And to be honest, the chicken alone didn't pick up as much flavor from the marinade as I hoped it would.

For the sauce I went with Steven's recipe from BBQ USA, which has a different mayo-to-vinegar ratio than the recipe I used for the marinade and also had a better taste. In hindsight, marinating the chicken didn't make much of a difference and I think I might've been better off had I simply salted it instead.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

I've always liked that White Sauce on chicken for a change of pace. It's tasty and impresses the crowd.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Several years ago I saw something on TV with Chris Lily from Big Bob Gibson's where the Alabama white originated. He would continue to dip the chicken in the sauce during the cooking process. My wife really likes the white sauce and I have made some at home, but I have never marinated or dipped it during cooking. You may have spurned an experiment. Thanks.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:13 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

How different is this from Cornell chicken? I have made that with some success. Need to try this one.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:40 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Since the Alabama version is all about the sauce the chicken usually isn't seasoned much more than salt and pepper, which would definitely make it different than Cornell chicken.

Although since you mention it, during the cook it occurred to me that combining Alabama white sauce with Cornell chicken probably wouldn't be a bad thing!

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I think the Cider Vinegar and poultry seasoning is what makes the Cornell... Otherwise it'st just homemade mayonnaise ..
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to General Discussion