Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion where to find different woods

where to find different woods

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:37 am

Ok, so i know you can find chunks/chips at most Lowe's, Home Depots and grocery stores. Where should i go to get logs etc. I am interested in using apple and pecan along with hickory and mesquite. the last two are definately easy to find at hardware stores. I have a hard time finding apple and pecan. In addition i have no way to get a cord of lumber delivered and the wife would freak. can you go places to get wood in smaller quantities.

By the way I am in St. Louis.

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:58 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Try this link for a local supplier:
http://www.firewood.com/resources/directory.htm
I hope this helps.

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:45 am
cmcadams well done
well done

I've been getting my chunks at Hawgeye's BBQ, http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/
I've been really happy with them; they're very nice to deal with, too.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:16 am
weekend cook well done
well done

Some places I have heard of people finding wood for free are orchards and golf courses. Find the groundskeepers for someplace close and tell him/her that if they drop you some wood, you'll drop them some pulled pork or brisket.

I found this site on another BBQ board. If they are letting people pick their fruit, they probably wont mind you taking trimmings from the trees, (that has already been cut)
http://www.pickyourown.org/
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:00 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

Look up firewood in your local yellow pages and call them asking for those specific woods. When I lived in Colorado it was hard finding good hard wood to use so I called a local BBQ restaurant and asked them where they got there wood from. Good Luck
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:13 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

WW, call some of the local tree service businesses. They will sometimes give you trimmings/cuttings as well as some of the others mentioned. I agree that it's difficult to get a variety around here and you can forget about it year 'round. I buy my chunks/chips from either Wal-Mart, Lowe's, or HD.

I'm making a trip to Dallas this weekend and thinking of stuffing the trunk with what I can find while down there. From what I've seen, you can buy 50lb bags of chunk in front of the grocery stores. :shock:
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:55 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

BlackDog, between Bainbridge and Quincy on the Faceville Hwy there's a big pecan grove. You might could get some from them.

Return to General Discussion