Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Help out a first time brisket chef!

Help out a first time brisket chef!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:42 pm
ChefDave raw
raw

Hi.. Been doing the grilling for years, but only on burgers, chicken or the occasional salmon. Always been happy, but I own a New Braunfels Bandera Smoker and never used the big vertical smoker at all. SO this weekend I want to try a brisket. My questions is if you simply thrown in Matchlight Charcoal on the add 12 briquettes every hour pre side rule, what chance do i have of getting the igniting acrid smoke into the brisket. I don't own a chimney starter and doubt I'd be able to find one where I live. Help!

ChefDave

Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:00 pm
gregory c

You might try using a large coffee can. Cut the bottom off the can.Put some newspaper in the bottom then your charcol or wood on top. It will work best if you have some sort of grill or oven type rack to put the can on. This will let air flow under and through the charcol.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:42 am
flints rare
rare

Honestly, 0. The match light will flame up and all the fumes will go right into the meat. Defiintely try greg c's coffee can idea or you could find another fireproof container (or even dig a hole if you have to) and get the matchlight going in there first and transfer the coals after they've burned clean.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:32 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

It will give the meat an off flavor. Worst case scenario, pull the brisket out for the time that the new coals are flaming.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:30 am
stripegrill medium
medium

Has anyone done a brisket on a gas grill? Specifically on a Grillmaster or similar 2 burner grill? Looking for help!

Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:04 pm

stripegrill wrote:
Has anyone done a brisket on a gas grill? Specifically on a Grillmaster or similar 2 burner grill? Looking for help!

I did a Brisket on a Weber Summit "D" a few weekends ago and it turned out great! There is a Recipe in "How To Grill" on doing a brisket.

-Adrian

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:05 pm

Thanks for the tips.. I have invested in the chimney starter based on your comments.. looking forward to the morning...

Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:29 am
Longmill

Fire starting .....

Right now every drugstore and larger supermarket has cheap grills on sale to make way for back to school supplies. Take a look at what's available in your area. For $10-$20 one of those will give you an extra large charcoal starter. Remove the grill, line the pan with aluminum foil or add a layer of sand (to prolong the life of the grill). Start your charcoal, lump, wood, etc. in that. Use a spade, fireplace shovel, or a large garden trowel to transfer the lit fuel.

Fast starter is a turkey cooker burner. Set a chimney of lump or charcoal on the burner. (Or use the accessory burner on a gas grill.) Once the fuel in the bottom has ignited, turn off the burner. Leave the burner on too long and the fuel in the bottom will burn too fast. No messy newspaper ashes flying around.

BTW, when you finish starting charcoal, pull out your seasoned "flea-market find" cast iron frying pan or dutch oven and set it on the turkey cooker. Fry up some hushpuppies, simmer some baked beans or one of a dozen other side dishes to accompany your Qing or grilling efforts. Good eating.......

Longmill

Return to General Discussion