Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials A big thanks to one and all

A big thanks to one and all

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:36 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I've been reading over your comments and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's really gratifying to me to hear your success stories and that my books have helped you improve your grilling.
It's the best part of being an author
Happy grilling! !
Steven Raichlen

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:32 pm
LowRider rare
rare

to say that you have "helped" is a big understatement!! You have truly given the good ole US of A a "BBQ revival". Years from now your name will be in history books for this "period" in time :wink:

anyway...this is probably the closest I'll get to thanking you in person but "thanks!".

I have already bought/given a few of your books this past holiday season and the pulled pork recipe in your "how to Grill" book has been an amazing HIT with my family and friends (since June.. I have easily grilled at least 150-200 lbs of pork shoulder/butt).!!!

and the smoked salmon has been a hit with my neighbors...one of them even came over and gave me a hug saying "thank you...my daughter would never think of eating fish..but she ate the smoked salmon!!".

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:39 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I must agree with LowRider, in that this is probably the closest I will ever come to thanking you in person.

I have always loved to cook, and BBQ is one of my passions, and I have cooked many a hot dog and hamburger, not to mention the occasional steak, prior to finding your book, 'How to Grill.' Since buying that one book, I have learned to make many new dishes and honed my skills at the grill. Thanks to you, I was awarded an Award of Arms at only my second Society for Creative Anachronism event, something I have been informed is about as rare as hen's teeth and frog hair. The pork loin with tapenade and turkey were a huge hit, and I must give credit to the Master. I know you studied medieval cooking, and feel you passed some of that to me in the pages of your book.

I would never have dreamed of plunging a chiicken over a beer can without your guidance, or made pulled pork that is to die for, and ribs, either Kansas City or Memphis style were a complete mystery to me, and now I prepare them with confidence. On the Fourth of July, I am preparing pulled pork, BBQ'd cabbage, and smoked pears for my family and friends.

I intend, as soon as is humanly possible, to buy BBQ USA and your other books, in my quest to become a true GrillMeister.

Thank you, Steve.

Image[/img]

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:14 am
FedoraDave medium-well
medium-well

I can only echo what the others have said. It was one of those happy accidents that just before Father's Day a couple of years ago, I saw The Barbecue! Bible on display at the bookstore and told my wife that it would be the perfect gift for me. She listened, she got me my book, and now you know why my marriage is a good one. :wink:

Not only are the recipes and cooking guidelines therein the touchstone of outdoor cooking, but it's darn good reading! You not only know your stuff, but you communicate it in an engaging manner. Don't stop writing these types of books, please.

Thanks for taking me from the fumbling early stages of knowing there was great food out there for me to make to the organized, confident griller/barbecuer I am now. I know I'll only be improving my technique and my repertoire, thanks to you.
There is NO SUCH THING as "pork tartare!"

Post Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:22 pm
crmos8 well done
well done

I have to add my kudos to Steve also. The BBQ Bible got me really hooked years ago. The first time I made the Carolina pulled pork, I couldn't believe what I'd been missing!! I've added it to a few menus for restaurants I consult with, and even though it's not really the same done indoors, it's been a good seller wherever it goes.

And I will thank Steve in person, because I'll probably attend BBQ U someday!!

Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:32 am
Pop'sBBq medium
medium

OK Steven, I've got ALL your books. It's time to fire up that "smokers" book. Put that drumstick down and start writing! :)
Mike

Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:56 pm
willisamrhein medium
medium

I second the dedicated smoker book! :D

Is that BBQ I smell?

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:34 pm
Kingpin raw
raw

I received my How to grill book from my broker, after I told him about a stainless steel smoker I saw at one of the warehouse clubs. His way of thanking me for telling him about the smoker.

WOW!!!!!!

The book has totally changed my way of cooking, my confidence and just plain common sense approach to BBQ.

I went and purchased the same gas smoker and may I say I make some pretty good ribs, your Asian Baby Back ribs are tops, even my daughter loves them.

THANK YOU!!

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Kingpin!

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:48 pm
dds rare
rare

This is my first post on this board, and I think it is appropriate to start it off by complimenting the author for such a great book. My wife gave me "The Barbecue Bible" for Fathers Day and I recently bought his book on rubs and sauces..I have always enjoyed hanging out by the grill with the guys drinking a cold one, but about the only thing I felt I could cook on a grill was hot dogs. I even struggled with Bubba Burgers!!!

I am now making my own rubs and sauces, and on the 4th of July, I made Memphis style ribs with "Sweet and Smoky" bar-b-q sauce. I sprinkled a little bit of the rub into the sauce, and wow, does it kick! 3 bottles of that sauce are now in a neigbors refrigerator and they want more! After the meal, we retired to the pool where I made some Pina Coladas for all. Now my neighbors can't wait until Labor Day. Thanks!

Keep up the work and see you around the grill! :D

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:22 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy dds, Welcome to the board Tim! :D

For another treat check out Steven's book How to Grill.

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:56 am
nc bbq rare
rare

steven i have owned how to grill a week now. and i have made some of the best bbq this week that i have ever made thanks to you and htg.
keep up the good work

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:59 pm
PKGuy323 rare
rare

Steven,

When I bought my first gas grill 10 years ago, everything came out "chargrilled" whether I wanted it to be or not. So, I sold the grill and gave it up...

Until two years ago, my wife bought me another gas grill and included the BBQ Bible and the How to Grill books and told me to get busy learning! :D

My wife Kelli loves grilled food so my first big project was the brisket. I followed your directions step by step and took a leap of faith to invite people over that day to enjoy it. Once it was served, all the talking stopped and the lips were smacking down. They asked me where I bought it and I proudly grinned and told them I made it....with the BBQ Bible's help.

Two years later, people wait for our backyard bashes and to see what's grilling at my place. A BIG thanks to you for writing such great books that should be subtitled "Great Grilling for Dummies!"

Thank you for taking a 'grill it and burn it' guy and turning him into a BBQ Guru.

Keep up the GREAT WORK! Love the BBQ U show.

Glenn B.
Wylie, TX

BTW, I tried Sonny Bryan's BBQ here in Dallas and you're right..It's GREAT BBQ!
Charmglow Stainless Steel 5 Burner 720-0396

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board PKGuy323! :D

Glad you found your way back to the grill. What took you so long to get here? :wink: Hope to see you around.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:27 pm
Chez Yerbouti medium
medium

I've got to say thank you as well. Since I got the HTG book, I have learned so many things, from mojo sauce to pulled pork to the basic bbq sauce. Everything, literally everything I have made from the book has come out great. And you provided great stepping stones to move forward with as well. I took your basic bbq sauce, added some Knob Creek whiskey and about 2 tsps of ground cumin to it as well as a bit of crushed red pepper and everyone says it's the best they've ever had.
I love to cook and with your books and tips from your show, it makes the experience so much better.
Thanks Steve.

- Chuck

Next

Return to Testimonials