Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Favorite Steakhouse?

Favorite Steakhouse?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:06 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Since we're all enjoying finding out where the best BBQ Joints are across the land, and because so many of you mentioned steak as a favorite meal in the other discussion area, let's hear about your favorite steakhouse.

I'm putting in a vote for Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.

Info

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:40 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

On the occasion when we choose to go out for a steak, my family likes to go to the Saltgrass Steak House. They are a relatively new restaurant chain in the area. The atmosphere is rustic and the food is flavorful. The rattle snake tails (appetizers), jalapeno peppers stuffed with shrimp, are a good starter and each meal is served with beer bread. The steaks are well seasoned and the chefs are well trained. Servers are very attentive and outgoing.

However, the wife and I went to a steak place in Kansas City once. A place on the Missouri River yet it had no windows. It looked like you were entering a warehouse from the outside. There was no large sign on a 50 foot post, only a small sign on the wall near the entrance door. It was an older, industrial side of town and I was shocked when my family recommended the place because of the area it was in. Once inside, the building offered a different environment. It resembled an upper-crust, high class dining establishment with an Old West attraction. There were high ceilings, wagon wheel chandeliers over each table, and high back, heavy wooden chairs. That night we had the best steaks of our life and all the sides were equally as delicious. To this day I cannot remember the name of the restaurant.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:52 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Now we're talking about a subject very near and dear to my heart (and stomach)!

The obvious answers here are Morton's and Ruth's Chris. These are both national chains are both excellent!

However if you're looking for something more regional I suggest:

1. Al Biernat's
4217 Oak Lawn Ave
Dallas, TX 75219-2313

Truely a great steak and chop house!

2. The Prime Rib
2020 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006

This place is not a steak and chop house per say but does serve perhams the biggest and best prime rib I've ever eaten. This place is a long time DC establishment where you'll see many famous people and politician on any given night.

I'm not going to go into the sides at the above places because they're all great and unique in their own ways. Try them and find out for yourself!

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:52 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I know there are many excellent places to go for a good steak and side dishes. However, my favorite is right here at home. I can prepare it the way I like it, have the side dish of my choice, usually have Family over, and take as long as I want to enjoy the feast. I've had some dinners better than others, but never had a bad one. I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way:)

Pete

Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:00 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Did someone say 'Texas'? Let's see...Florida...Hmmm...That's somewhere in East Texas, isn't it? :wink:

Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:41 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Steak Houses. If you are ever in Washington, DC, try Les Halles. It is a French steak place. The cuts of meat are different that USA types. Hangar steak, Onglet steak. Try the main dish of “Steak, salad and frites.” Some say the place has the best fires in town.

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:45 am
Forrest rare
rare

blackdog870 wrote:
Around here the best place would be Marie Livingston's Texas Steakhouse . . . best place for ambiance would be The Nicholson Farm House. . .

Blackdog870, I fully agree. It's too bad that Marie Livingston closed her Apalachee Parkway Steak House. That one was near me and she always had a great under $5 lunch menu, which included some of her steaks and great BBQ chicken that was only available at lunch.

Also BD, again I agree! Anyone visiting the Tallahassee area should make a point to experience Nicholson's Farm House located just north of Tallahassee in the rural area near Quincy, Florida. The steaks are mighty fine, and be sure t bring you own cooler with your favofrite libations. The restraurant consists of multiple 100+ year old houses that were moved to that location from all over the Florida Big Bend area. Nothing like it and not all that expensive.
Forrest

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:42 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I absolutely LOVE Charley's Steak House. I first went to the one in Orlando, FL and have since become a regular at the one in Tampa. It's hands down the best steak join I have ever Been too!

Berns Steakhouse in tampa offers a unique atmosphere with a pretty good steak as well.

I don't like Ruth's Chris too much, the steaks don't have any flavor!

There was a place in Ft. walton Beach Florida when I was a kid Called Coach n' four. it was pretty good. One of the most unique things was they gave you lime sherbert to clense your pallette between your bites. I still serve lime sherbert with my steaks till this day!

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:02 pm
BigBad raw
raw

Have to nominate Murray's for best steakhouse, at least in Minnesota. Their "Silver Butter Knife" steak is second to none.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:46 am
Zeke rare
rare

Although I've never been to Peter Luger's, I've heard amazing things about it and always have a bottle of their steak sauce in my fridge.

In Boston, Grill 23 is amazing...so many good steakhouses around town, but this one always is just a little bit better.

And when I'm at Morton's, there's nothing better than their 2 inch porterhouse.

Drooooool......
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:38 am

McKendrick's Steakhouse Atlanta, GA

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:24 pm
everyguy

I don't know if it's the best, but a great place to get a steak is Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse in Santee Ca, about 10 miles East of San Diego. They serve huge hunks of meat grilled over a roaring mesquite fire right in the dining room. They don't stand on ceremony. The menu is on a paper bag that doubles as a doggie bag, and the side dishes are limited pretty much to beans, potatoes, and bread. I used to eat there when I was a kid, and the concept of great steak in my mind is pretty much defined by what I ate at Pinnacle Peak.

If you wear a tie there, they will cut it off and it will join thousands of others nailed to the walls all over the place. Overall it is a cowboy boot and jeans kind of place.

The address is:

Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse
7927 Mission Gorge Road
Santee, CA 92071
619-448-8882

Enjoy!

David Roberts

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:42 am
Reidmid rare
rare

Somebody posted about trying to replicate Fogo De Chao's steak.

Since then I've been fixated on it, so it is my Favorite Steak Restaurant - even though some may not call it a steak house. They are awsome and their Fillet is not to be beaten.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint