Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Vertical Electric Water Smoker

Vertical Electric Water Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:52 am
flints rare
rare

Stripegrill,
I have the brinkman and I really like it. I've got the charcoal and just bought the smoker attachment. Haven't had any problems with it. Good size pans, good size grates, good flavor. It ain't God's gift, but for the price it's good.

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:54 am
heliman raw
raw

We really havent had any problems with the CharBroil. The instructions aren't clear as to where to place the chips. My modification as posted earlier, as a guest, I forgot to log in, works well for me but as stl-rich just posted the pizza pan trick will work also. I have done a pork roast and pork ribs and both were cooked to perfection and ease. Great smoke taste also. The pros over the electric version is that you dont need the constant attention that charcoal requires, the cons, you might have more time for honey-do's! You will enjoy either model.

-Walt

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:56 pm
HZ

I've been using this type of smoker for a long time, never had any problems with it. I use wood chunks (not chips), I place them on the reflector plate and make sure that the side of each chunk is touching a small part of the heating element. This way they burn very slowly and produce a lot of smoke. You'll have to clear a lot of ashes afterwards, but that's not a problem since the plate is washable. Try this method; you won't be disappointed with the results.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:05 am

I have been following your posts, and can tell you how my vertical electric smoker works. Use chunks of wood (I use mesquite) arranged on the lava rock, around the element, but not touching it, Brinkmann is very explicit on this, as it will damage the element. I get a good volume of smoke, and the ashes almost seem to disappear. I recently did a picnic shoulder on the grate just above the water pan, and a stainless bowl of Bush's baked beans (with a few personal touches) above it. Fantastic! Good luck.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:16 pm
Mediacowboy

I couldn't figure where to put the wood chips either so I just put a small tin can in between the elements and that seemed to work just fine. The only problem I am having is that when I cook Boston butt for pulled pork the meat temperature never reaches above 175 degrees. Any suggestions?

Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:43 pm
Gerald raw
raw

I have a Brinkman electric vertical water smoker which I really like. It's instructions said to place soaked wood chunks on the lava rock between the elements. It works fine, though it creates a mess that has to be cleaned out of the lava rocks.
GrillDawg

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:07 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

Shaft28 wrote:
Hello All,
I need some tips on using my new vertical electronic water smoker. I am a grill man by nature and have never smoked or been around anyone who smoked anything. Sad, but true.
So I get this new smoker and no where does it say if I add wood chips, lava rocks or anything under the electric element. Just put the water pan on top of the element and cook away. I fould one web page that mentioned you add nothing but that seems like steaming to me, not smoking.
Am I missing something? Should I just fire it up and see what happens?
Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks, Marc

Dear MArc,

Please forgive the late response on the electric water smoker, but here goes. I have a Brinkmann smoker, and there is a bed of lava rock under the element in the bottom of the smoker. One places chunks of wood around, but not touching the element, and plug it in. The heat from the element, and the lava rock causes the chunks to smoke. Above this is the pan for water, beer, wine, just about any liquid you wish to use. I hope this helps.

Allen

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:59 am
Chris

I, too, have a vertical water smoker. I do not think the directions advised to, but I did place lava rocks on the bottom around and under the element. The first time I used the smoker I used a metal smoker box that I had bought. I filled the box with chips, then placed it on the lava rocks near the element. This did produce good smoke, but with the limited space between the water pan and the side of the smoker, I found it a bit difficult removing the smoker box and replacing it with new wood chips. Additionally, having a hard time removing the smoker box during cooking meant having the side access door open for extended periods - which was letting out way too much heat.

I have since found two more successful methods...

1. Soak the wood chips in water and keep them in a water filled bucket near the smoker. Using a slotted spoon, scoop chips out of the bucket and add directly to the bottom of the smoker on the lava rocks and element. This seemed to work fine EXCEPT - even thought the chips had been soaked, the heat dried some of them too much (especially the chips touching the element) causing them to burn rather than just smolder - which caused large fluctuations of the internal temperature. Additionally, all of the chips eventually turned to ash (of course) which was messy and bothersome to clean out.

2. (I have found that this is the best way for me) - I wrap dry chips (or even chunks) in a couple of layers of Heavy Duty aluminum foil. Punch 3-5 holes in the top of the foil, and place directly on the rocks and element. If I need more smoke after the wood is done smoking, I simply push the first foil pouch aside and add another in its place. Later, after the smoker has cooled down, and I am going through my "clean-up routine" I simply remove the foil pouches and throw them away - no messy ash in the bottom of the smoker.

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope this helps.

Chris

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Howdy Folks

I have recently registered with THE barbecuebible after recently purchasing a MECO/ AUSSIE SMOKER/ Southern Country Smoker.
You can take your pick on which name to use. The shipping box had at least two.
I have completed my first smoke which was a 2lb boneless loin of Pork and was quite pleased with the results.

BUT I have come up with some issues that need to be addressed and in fact I will need YOUR help. (PLEASE)
Is anyone familiar with this electric smoker? (COMES WITH TEMP CONTROL RHEOSTAT) nice touch.
The unit has no LAVA ROCKS as the Brinkmann does. Should I get some?
There is "an aluminium reflector plate" which is placed under the electric element where the chips or chunks of wood are to be placed close to but not touching the element so as not to damage same.
I tried it as they direct but NOT MUCH SMOKE at all.

If anyone can suggest any modifications such as replacing original Thermometer, using smoker box, changing out element to improve upside temp.

Thanks for listening
WOODBECHEF
I'LL BE BAC

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Woodbechef! I'm afraid I can't answer your questions but hopefully some others can help.

Since I'm not familiar with this smoker would it be possible to somehow place a small pan or packet right above but not touching the heating element? Otherwise all I can think of is increasing the amount of wood used.

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks ScreamingChicken for your response.

I plan to use a bit more wood as you suggest wrapped in foil poke a few holes and add some lava rock under the wood.

I think it best to fire up when the temperature gets well above mid 40s, this element can't cut it in the high 30s & 40s.

I'm north of Houston. We've been having a colder than usual winter down here since I moved in.

This Meco 5030 could be called "EL CHEAP-O II" but i kinda like it.

I ordered a 3" River Country bbq Thermometer (adjustable model RC-T34 CC ) To replace the original.

Does anyone have any experience with that unit?

Thanks for listening
The WOODBECHEF

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I like the idea of the lava rock to act as a heat sink and stabilizer. I wonder if there's some kind of insulating jacket that could improve the smoker's efficiency when the weather's colder...

Previous

Return to General Discussion