Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Half Pork Loin

Half Pork Loin

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:28 pm
ddog27 medium-rare
medium-rare

I bought a half pork loin at the grocery store last night. They were having a really good sale on them. After I got them home I realized I have never cooked a pork loin on the smoker. Can you cook them just like a pork butt? Any tips or recipes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:32 pm
zippy medium-well
medium-well

ddog, I am not a smoker but from reading the boards I am pretty sure that the smokers are going to recommend that you either do this cut indirect or direct. The loin may not benefit from the low and slow. Just my $.02.
Kenmore 4 burner
Char-broil 18 1/2 kettle

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:36 pm
Combustis Maximus well done
well done

I had pork loin last night in fact. It's a cut that is tender enough to cook relatively quickly; I'm not sure it will benefit from the low and slow treatment of a smoker but others here may disagree.

I put a light mustard slather on mine (just cheapo French's) and then coat it liberally with salt and pepper or your favorite rub. Then I put an empty cast iron skillet on the grill and let it get rocket hot for about 15 min or so. Sear/Brown the loin on all sides and remove the loin and skillet from the grill. Place a couple stems of rosemary under the loin if you have it. I then put (shhh...don't tell anybody) it, whispering now, in the oven at 350 and cook to 138F. Takes about an hour but it can vary of course.
Let it sit for 10 min on a cutting board while you make gravy from the stuff in the skillet.
Make sure the loin is on a cutting board with a drip channel around the edge, the deeper the better. Cut the loin into thin slices and pour the juice that collects in the channel into the skillet with the gravy. You'll probably have to do that more than once.

Eat, wash, repeat.. :D

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:46 pm
rogerja well done
well done

ddog, a pork loin doesn't have the internal fat to kepp it moist while smoking.

Try a rotissorie if you have one. Indirect is best, though sometime i'll smoke it (at 275-300) til it reachest 125 internal. THen I'll cut some chops off and grill. Best of both worlds.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:52 pm
Longmill well done
well done

Agree with the others. Do it either indirect or on the spit. I slather with mustard and basic BBQ rub the night before. Set up grill for indirect with a drip pan beneath. Grill until internal reaches 145. Take off and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

During the cook, add some chunks of your favorite smoke wood. Go easy on that, as this is a mild flavored meat. Heavy smoke will overpower it.

Hope this helps.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Return to General Discussion