Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question regarding Weber Smoker

Question regarding Weber Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:30 pm

Hi,

I just received a Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker Smoker. I tried smoking some ribs and pork chops last night. Seemed to be going OK, I added a few pieces of charcoal and a few wood chunks every 90 minutes.

However, after 4 hours, the chops were still not done! (Internal temp about 130). I got a little impatient and pulled out the trusty grill to finish them off (They still had a great smoky flavor!)

Any tips on the smoker? Am I not keeping it hot enough? Not enough coal? Opening the side hatch too much (to add coal and wood every 90 minutes)? Any help and hints are appreciated. Thanks!
-D. Israel

Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:46 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Opening the lid every 90 minutes should be just fine. Were they individual chops or a rack of chops. That temp seems possible with a rack on four hours. What was the temp you were cooking at? Was the meat straight from the fridge or room temp when you started? You probably need to add more wood than what you were adding, but my pit is not the same make as yours, so I can't be sure.
Live Different

Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:21 pm

I found a weber-smoker specific site. They answered some questions.

I think the big mistake was that I didn't get enough coal in there to get it hot enough, and I didn't have a thermometer for the temp. They were 4 single, room temperature (rubbed) chops.

I'll give it another go... worst thing is, I have to pull out the grill... it still makes tasty chops!!

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:30 pm
WeberBoy rare
rare

DanielIsrael,

I hope the site you found was http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/. If not, go check it out.

Throw your Weber owner's manual away and use that site for reference!

WeberBoy

Return to General Discussion