Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Amateur BBQ League

Amateur BBQ League

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:23 pm
freefaller well done
well done

Check out this site. http://www.abbql.com It appears those that may have a competetive side might get a chance to go up against other local backyard cooks. There are some people on another forum that are questioning the legitimacy of the group, but it'll be up to each person to make their own decision. I, for one, hope to get a chance to compete in my area next year, tentitively in July, I believe. My only real concern at this time is that somehow ringers(pros) will get in and ruin it for the true amateurs.
Mike J

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:16 pm
cmmull well done
well done

Looks like it could be good and fun. And hopefully the pros will be considerate enough to stay out of this. Most I have interacted with probably will, since they were in our shoes once, and know what it's like.

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:30 pm
crazyhorse medium-well
medium-well

look at the locations for the events, they are located on 111 main st for every city and state ? seems odd to me :roll:

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:12 pm
freefaller well done
well done

Yes I've seen that and the dates are all the same as well. A couple people have been in contact with Mike from the abbql, and he states that the info will change when they have set dates and places. I'm not passing judgement as so far I'm not out any money, and when it starts I'll be able to check out other events before I sign up for the ones in my area. I'm really looking forward to the chance to try competing.
Mike J

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:14 pm

I have been getting alot of emails about locations and dates for our cook-off events. Let me explain two things so there is no misunderstanding.

1. On the "Locations" page of our website, it states: "The Locations Will Be Updated Shortly. We Are Finalizing Dates With Local Governments And Charity Organizations. Some Of The Locations And Dates Are Only There For Space Fill-in At This Time." These dates and actual event locations will be posted shortly. What you are seeing presently IS NOT our atual schedule.

2. We are trying to secure at least 5 locations within a specific locale so people can use their "Points" to enter their Regional Cook-Off. Points are awarded for each cook-off entry, purchase of ABL Gear or other items on the website. You can trade these points for a spot at the Regional Cook-off.

Please be a little patient....this is taking more time than we expected....but it is all coming to fuition.

Mike

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:15 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I contacted ABBQL and got a time and place for the Edmond OK comp.
I'm looking forward to see how I measure up with my fellow BBQ's.
There are going to be a few other events in Oklahoma as well.
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:33 pm
Happy Cooker well done
well done

None of them are near me. Bummer.. JT

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:59 am
BBQRanger medium
medium

Cool!

Too bad I will still be out in the middle of the Mojave desert when most of these events are happening.

We are moving to Ft. Leavenworth, KS in the summer right near one of the hearts of BBQ!
"Gettin' paid to grill, two weeks out of every month!"

Weber Silver Genesis
CG Super Pro w/SFB

Return to General Discussion