Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Grilled pizza . . .

Grilled pizza . . .

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:59 pm
Itok raw
raw

Ya gotta be kiddin me, yeah??

No. Way beyond great!!!

On the local PBS channel, I get to spend a half hour with Steven, grillin up something really good. This weekend happened to be grilled pizza. Being a nice weekend and having been unable to grill for the past few weeks (vacation to AZ and injections in my SI joint) pizza sounded intriguing to say the least. The an nan (i think it was called) a grilled bread that he started the episode with is similar to a bread my wife and I love at a local restaraunt, Monoglian BBQ. Then we went into the pizza and it really looked yummy! So, while finishin the NASCAR Indy race, I pulled my BBQ USA off the end table and low and behold was teh grilled pizza recipe.

Wow. We pay good money for some grilled pizza here in Austin, but having far more fun, costing far less cash and much more convenience, I made better pie. It was just amazing!!! The molasses makes the diff with the bread and deepens the taste.

I've made a few things out of the book (got it for a b-day gift the beginning of July) but this one recipe (and todays leftover pizza reheated to near perfection) caused me to write and let you know I appreciate sharing these recipes. Makes meal time and cooking time more enjoyable as a cook and sideline participant.

To speak to the book, incredible. A great mix of lore, story, food and technique. A great mix like this is hard ot come by and has really helped me hit new levels of creativity on the grill that only this spring seemed a bit out of my league. Im regularaly routieirrizing (I know I spelled that wrong) whole chickens now.

Thank you for sharing your passion and profession with those of us how have been able to ratchet our skills a notch or 5.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:01 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Oh yeah! We love our grilled pizza here too. Welcome Itok. :D

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:22 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Itok! :D

Hope you'll join us in more BBQ down the road. Grilled pizza is awesome. 8)

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 pm

I'm new to the board, but I've been trying some of the recipes from the BBQ Bible for about a year now.

As for grilled pizza, my wife told me recently that she saw a stone/metal device to make pizza on the grill. Is that what you guys are using?

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:55 am
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome guest. Won't you take a moment to register and join the fun? Lots of good info and good eating around here. :wink:

Sounds like she's referring to either a pizza stone or a pizza screen. Those are nice items to have. However, you can grill a good pizza without them. You get nice grill marks that way. :)

Make sure your grates are well oiled. You can use a rimless cookie sheet as a big spatula to aid in handling the transfer to/from the grill.

Steven's "How to Grill" has a section on pizza with photos and detailed instructions. Once you get the hang of it, it's lots of fun to experiment with your favorite toppings combo.

Again, welcome.
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:45 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy guest (Geraldo)! Hope you'll join us. :D

This is how I do it:

If you don't have How to Grill swing by a book store and check it out. 8)
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Geraldo raw
raw

I did register, but unlike some forum boards I frequent, this one will allow you to post without logging in. So being the bonehead I just posted away.

Back to the important stuff. Thanks for the tips, and especially for the pics. I'm definately going to try this out.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:00 am
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome, again, Geraldo! Glad you joined us.

When you grill up those pizzas, head over to the General Discussion area and share your success with us. Pix, too, if you have a camera. Even if I can't grab a slice, I still enjoy hearing (and seeing) good eating. :)

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:24 pm
foxspit medium-rare
medium-rare

Now I'm really hungry!

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:17 pm
bbq joe inagua

OK OK what does a relocated new yorker a Sicilian at that now living in Naples Florida know about grilled pizza ? I know when God had pizza its off the grill :D

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:55 am
millercat medium-rare
medium-rare

My wife and I love grilled pizza. We make it every chance we get.

As long as it's not winter, we grill every pizza

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:40 pm
outagas well done
well done

millercat wrote:
My wife and I love grilled pizza. We make it every chance we get.

As long as it's not winter, we grill every pizza

What does winter have to do with it?
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:12 am

Outagas - Amen!
Winter? just means a little longer cook time...
We've had great success with grilled pizza using tortillas as the crust.
Cook all your fixin's ahead of time, and we set those out.
Folks can build their own pizza, then about 4-5 minutes really low heat to melt the cheese and crisp up the tortilla.
Great for appetizers, or make a few for a quick meal.
The BBQ season never closes in my yard.

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:11 pm
Harrison rare
rare

Yeah, we hit the pizza alot too, the kids will eat it up and love to get in and help...

Here is a vid I found before I owned HTG:

http://www.realgrilling.com/swf/pizza_1/index.html

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:50 am
dledmo raw
raw

Has anyone tried a pizza stone? I've yet to try grill pizza but want to.

Next

Return to Testimonials