Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Suggestions For a New Gas Grill

Suggestions For a New Gas Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 pm
CRKhead rare
rare

I bought a Genesis Silver B a few years ago. I love the thing. I never saw a need for the side burner, which is why I didn't spend the extra money on the "C". It's powerful too. Preheat for 10 minutes on even a cold day and it rips past 650* no problem... makes for easy cleaning too. They have since upgraded since I bought it. They added a complete enclosure with doors on the bottom part instead of just the grate shelf I have. It was worth every penny in my opinion. Hope this helps.
Mine glows just like this. :shock:

Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:36 pm
outagas well done
well done

Marty,

I'm looking at a Weber gasser, too. I can't decide if there is a reason to pay the extra for the Genesis Gold or Platinum. The specs look identical to the Silver models. Feedback on that would be appreciated from anyone who knows.

Although, I do like the retro blue porcelain lid on the Silver. I've got a feeling that stainless steel will become the Avacado Green of the '00's.

Jim
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:12 pm
Mike in TX medium-rare
medium-rare

Just my two cents -- I have a Char-Broil Big Easy three burner gas grill, and I love it. Cost me about $300 back in '02. It's worked great for me. The grate is cast iron with a porcelain finish. Gives me awesome grill marks, which, as most of us know, is a Steven Raichlen virtue.

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:13 pm
RockinB rare
rare

Marty,
I have been in the market for a new gas grill lately. I have reservations about the Genesis grills only because of the burners running side to side. I don't think you could do much indirect with this configuration. I am also considering a Broilking Imperial (reversible cast iron grates) and the Napolean UP405RB which has indirect capabilities as well as the rear rotisserie burner. These should be available near your price point. Personally, I am still undecided as each has their individual strongpoints. Best of luck.
Bill

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:01 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

the front to back works just fine for indirect. Use the front as the vent is to the rear. You do loose some space but that will happen in any indirect situation. Weber is just plain tough to beat.

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:58 pm
BBQ Bob well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
Weber is just plain tough to beat.

I have to agree. Don't settle for a $299 grill at Lowes or Home Depot. You'll be lucky if ya get 4 years outta it. And stay away from JenAir. Lowes has an $799 one I was lookin at. After lookin on the internet I found out that JenAir doesn't even make that grill or warranttees it.
FURN. Short for furniture that I should have instead of this thing - wifie

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:54 pm
erikhume rare
rare

There's a reason everyone here recommends Weber -- they work. They were making top notch grills long before it became fashionable to do so. I got my Genesis Silver B in 2000. After 6 years, it still lights on the first push and puts out tons of heat. It's not uncommon to hear about people still using the original Genesis grills from the 80s. Yeah, you might save $100 on another grill now, or you might get one that looks a little cooler -- just remember, the Weber will probably outperform it now, and in 5 years, when the other grill looses its luster, I know the Weber will outperform it.

I'm not trying to hate on other grills, and yes, there are grills out there that outperform the Webers. But not at this price point.

Erik

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:19 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/search/r ... 60,4912688

I have the Capt'n Cook 3 burner and love it. I got it used from my father in law who had it for 5 years( He wanted a smaller grill). The grill gets smoking hot and parts support is good from BBQ Galore.

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:25 pm
tiem1 raw
raw

Hello from the eastside of town Triplem. I had a Thermos and was not happy at all with it. My buddy loves his Kenmore,and I have had many a great meal from it myself. I have always gone cheap on the gas side of things. A Char-Broil is all I need for a quick steak or for fish. Everything else goes on the Char-Griller

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just to add my .02.

The availability of replacement parts is way up on my list.

I have a Kenmore and really like it but parts are a pain.
Walk into Sears.
Look in the parts section.
Whose parts do you see?
Not Kenmore.
WEBER!!
Walk into Home Depot. Weber!
Walk into Lowe's. Weber!
Walk into 7-11... OK , not 7-11.

But you get my point.

When my grills time comes you can bet I'm going Weber.
Most likely a D6.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:03 am
Longmill well done
well done

Re: Side burner...

Whether one will be worth it to you, depends on your style of cooking. If the majority of your cooks involve a quick grilling session -- ie sear a few steaks -- then the burner may not be worth it to you.

However, if you do a variety of cooks, it can be very useful. FWIW, I added one to my charcoal fired Chargriller mainly to light charcoal easily. Turns out that I use it for other purposes for almost every cook. I use it far more than I thought I would when I bought it.

For example:

Saute onions / garlic for dogs, burgers, and topping for other meats.
Make pan sauces.
Cook and/or heat up side dishes, such as boiled new potatoes.
Make coffee & scrambled eggs when starting a long cook before dawn.
Make toast with a folding camp style toaster.

And there are times when I fire up the side burner when the rest of the CG isn't in use.

Heating water for cleanup purposes.
Seasoning cast iron cookware.
Pot of coffee or hot water for tea when working in the backyard in cold weather.

So, it does depend on how you'd use one, if it's worth the additional expense. IMHO, if you can fit it into the budget, go ahead and add it. You may find that over time, you'll have more uses for one than you do now.

Just my 2-cents....
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Next

Return to General Discussion