Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smoke devices

smoke devices

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:37 pm
rsn48 rare
rare

I have bought two seperate smoking devices for my Weber Silver. One has two compartments for dry chips and the other for water. When I put it on the flavour bars, they won't smoke.

I then bought a circular tube with holes, placing it along the flavour bar, under the grills. It won't smoke. The chips go in this tube wet.

With both devices, I left the bbq on high to help them catch, for about 15 minutes, but no go.

Any suggestions to get them to smoke?

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:59 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

I'd try putting them right on the flames.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:02 pm
Cuts With Spoon well done
well done

If it were me, I would leave the gasser to do what its good at, and get a dedicated smoker.
I bet the cost of those two devices together could have got you an ECB (bullet style smoker).

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:47 pm
DogMan rare
rare

I've not had much luck with smoker boxes on gas grills. Either the chips did nothing or they caught fire and burned out without any significant smoke.

I did have a bit of luck using smoke wood pellets in folded foil pouches with a small portable gas grill I used to use in the RV. You might try that and see if it works for you.

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:18 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Couple of large chunks, douple wrapped in hd foil.
1 or 2 small hole poked will smoke nicely.

You're not going to get "smoked food"

But it can add a touch of wood flavor when cooking indirect.

-YB

See also;

Can I smoke on my gas grill?

and

Gas grill smoking question
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:41 am
s1120 medium-rare
medium-rare

I have had good luck with the cast iron smoke boxes on my gasser. I soaked the chips good, and put them in. I used two boxs. Warm the grill with one to get it smoking, then put number two on with the meat. When smoke slows, I pull box one, and refill, and put back on. Keeps the smoke going a few hours that way.

Ditto the sepret smoker though. I just got a ECB and like it. Do the mods to it[at least the charcoal tray one] and for a little over $30 your ready to go.
Paul B

Return to General Discussion