Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials New england folks rejoice! A great place to get your wood!

New england folks rejoice! A great place to get your wood!

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Chez Yerbouti medium
medium

This is a bit long, but hopefully worth it.
I had a bbq planned for last Sunday and wanted to get pecan wood to smoke with. I found a place that had it and was just 1 state away (the cross country shipping costs were more than the wood sometimes :x ).
On that previous monday I ordered 1 1# bag of apple chips, 1 1# of cherry chips and a 20# bag of pecan chunks. I called to check that everything was in stock and if I would get it by that upcoming friday.
They don't bill you for shipping with your initial purchase, they calculate it and send you an email with the total (product & shipping).
I didn't get an email for 2 days, I called them back on Wed, asking about the cost of shipping and the status of the order, she couldn't locate it, asked me what I ordered and assured me it would be at my door on thursday. I thanked her and waited... Came home from work on thurs, saw a box on my porch that was about 15"x 8", and I thought there's no way in hell that's all of it.
Picked up the box, it weighed about 4lbs total, ironically the UPS label on it said it was 22lbs. Plus I saw in handwriting 1lb apple 1lb cherry, 1lb pecan, which was exactly what it was 3 1lb bags.
I called them back on friday, talked to the same rep, (I try to get names of people when I call, it tends to help out in the end), I told her what happened, she actually gasped, apologized and asked me what the exact order was. I told her, asked her what chance I had getting it on saturday, she said she would personally take care of it. I thanked her an hung up.
Went to the grocery store saturday morning to get some stuff for the cue, came home and there was a large box on my porch. My 20lbs of pecan chunks. I couldn't believe it, I never expected it to be there, and fully planned on using good old hickory, but she made good on her word.
I had the pecan to smoke my ribs and chicken. And the flavor of the wood was amazing.
So, if you need to get some smoking chunks, chips or whatever and live in the new england area and can't find any close to you, I HIGHLY recommend http://www.naturesownonline.com/
This level of customer service is unprecedented in this day and age. Ask for Leah, she helped me, and tell her that Chuck said hi! :D

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:05 pm
mcerreto raw
raw

I don't know where in Mass that you live, but I live close enough to RI that I have visited the Nature's Own shop, a small operation, but they did have natural maple hardwood charcoal from Canada. Nowadays that is much more widely available. For smoking woods I used to go to the Brookline Coal and Ice Company in Brookline, it was on my commute. All varieties available. I would like to take your recommendation and try pecan. I like apple but my favorite in hickory.

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:43 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board, mcerreto! :D

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:39 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome tot he board mcerreto! :D

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:24 am
Chez Yerbouti medium
medium

I gotta tell ya, not only was the customer service fantastic, the quality of the pecan chunks were amazing, you could literally smell the pecan through nylon bag, the chunks were good size, very little bark and the flavor it imparted on the meat (both pork ribs and chicken) was the best I've tasted so far.
I'll have to give that place a visit when I get a chance, I live on the South Shore and we fly out of Providence (avoiding Logan like the plague), so it's probably closer than I think.

Post Fri May 11, 2007 2:32 pm
phlydude medium-well
medium-well

Is their store in Warwick or Cumberland?
I drive to the South Shore (Weymouth) a few times a year to visit the wife's family.
Drive right up 95 or 295 and either place wouldn't be bad to hit.
Plus my BIL works in West Warwick @ Pinelli's on Quaker Lane (where the Papa Gino's is) - if you are in the mood for GREAT Italian food, stop in...it's BYOB but I have never had a bad meal (plus being related to the head chef isn't bad either)
Weber 22" One-touch Gold, Kenmore 4 burner gasser

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:45 pm
alang rare
rare

They are in Warwick, RI, near Green Airport, and they share space with a meat processing company:

A. J. Martin, Inc.
51 Graystone Street
Warwick, RI 02886

Telephone: (401) 739-2500 (8:00am to 4:30pm EST)
Toll Free: 1-800-443-6450

If you are going to pick things up they like to receive an order by phone or e-mail a day or two before you stop in.

Return to Testimonials