Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Stainless Kettle Grates?

Stainless Kettle Grates?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:43 am
jamesstew well done
well done

Does anyone know of any manufacturer who makes a stainless steel 22 1/2" cooking grate that will fit a Weber kettle. I just recently got a new kettle and have had an old one for years. The only thing that really frustrates me is the chrome-plated cooking grate that rusts out after a while. Thicker bars would be a nice touch too, wish Weber would make something like this.

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:07 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

I cut a piece of expanded stainless-steel that I got at Home Depot for my charcoal grate. I just traced out a circle using my Weber charcoal grate and cut it out with a grinding wheel. When using briquets I still use my stock one but use the homemade one for lump.

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:30 pm
baker well done
well done

Another way to improve the coal grate is to pick up a second one and lay it 90º on the other, creating a crosshatch. Remember that you don't want to make the passthrough too small, keeping a fire hot needs to have adequate oxygen passing through it.

It seems the wishes to have a stainless 22.5" grate available is about the same to have a cast iron grate to fit the kettle. When will one of use (with a welding shop, or a foundry (that rules out me)) step up to the plate?

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:09 pm
chagan well done
well done

baker wrote:
When will one of use (with a welding shop, or a foundry (that rules out me)) step up to the plate?

I've been pestering (nicely though) Weber for years to bring back the CI grates. I was hoping someone with the knowledge and equipment would have starting producing them 3rd party by now. I guarantee, whomever is the first will make boucoup bucks. Don't forget the hinged sides on mine, whoever you are :wink:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:16 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

Aren't the bars on the hinged grates thicker than the one that comes standard. I have the standard grate on mine but I thought the hinged one was a little more heavy duty. Still not stainless but thicker bars. I sometimes just lay the cast iron grate from my Lodge grill on the Weber grate when I want a good sear or grill marks.

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:11 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

I like using the heat from the fire for searing and grill marks aren't as important as knowing my grate won't rust out eventually. I think the main thing that bugs me is that the Weber gassers have much nicer grates. I mean how hard is it to cut the same thing in a circle.

Return to General Discussion