Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bear meat

Bear meat

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:29 pm

I just got some bear meat from a friend. I never had it before, what is a good way to prepare it. I will probly smoke it this weekend. What is a good rub to put on it, what kind of wood would work best to smoke it with.

Any other tips would be apreciated.

Thanks

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

biggenius29 wrote:
I just got some bear meat from a friend. I never had it before, what is a good way to prepare it. I will probly smoke it this weekend. What is a good rub to put on it, what kind of wood would work best to smoke it with.

Any other tips would be apreciated.

Thanks

I've never cooked bear meat. Tho I ate it once a long time ago as a regular roast. I would suggest using this as a rule of thumb. If the bear meat you were given has allot of marbling and connective tissue (gristle) I would maybe look at smoking it. If it's a fairly lean cut you might want to think of brining and using indirect grilling. Unless somebody knows different Pork rub and brine recipes should be somewhat compatible.

Remember bear is in many ways similar to pork. Also I'm not sure but it may be able to harbor trichinosis larva so I would cook it to temps that would kill the larva just to be sure. Maybe someone with more bear knowledge will come on and steer you in the right direction. Hope this is of some help.
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:37 pm
Combustis Maximus well done
well done

I can't help with any recipes but I do know you need to cook it like you would've cooked port a few decades ago. In other words, get it hot enough to kill everything that is hitching a ride.

Bears will eat anything under the sun including garbage and carrion. I'm not trying to kill your appetite though; I'm actually very curious how you make out with it. I never went bear hunting but I like to deer hunt and the bear population in PA is growing to the point where they are a nuisance in many areas.

Plus I might be buying some mountain land soon. All that is to say that I anticipate coming into possession of some bear meat some day so I'll follow this thread with interest.

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:37 am
Patdakat medium-rare
medium-rare

This is an interesting post. Here's a website that may answer some of your questions. Good luck.

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html

Pat

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:14 am
bearbonz well done
well done

I resent this thread.... :shock: :shock: :wink:

Gator BYCC
GOSM

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:22 am
bugahabuc medium
medium

I've eaten bare