Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Holiday Feast

Holiday Feast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:01 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

Thanks for considering sharing your secret recipe. Ever since you mentioned the Anchor Bar all I have wanted to eat was wings. I have drug my wife to 4 different resturants since then so that Icould have wings and even though they were good they lack the taste that I remember from the Anchor Bar.

If you are willing to share it but do not want to post for all send me a private message. I will keep the secret to my grave (unless someone knows the secret handshake, oh wait I do not know if I remember the secret handshake)

PS Remember this is Monday humor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was telling my wife about my dilema with sharing my wing recipie. Her reply was "you won't even tell me your recipie and you want to tell the board?" So I'm sorry guys but the answer has to be no. There are only 3 known copies of it floating around (1 dear friend, 1 family cookbook, and 1 in my fraternity archives). So if you can track down one of those you're all set.

I will offer any and all advice but just not the details.

Gotta keep em coming back for more. 8)

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:02 pm

Grand Scale wrote:
I could share my wing recipie, but if I tell you then I'd have to kill you.
I post it here then everyone starts making wing then I'm out of a job!

Let me think about it.

Awww, pretty please? :lol:

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:11 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Grand Scale wrote:
I was telling my wife about my dilema with sharing my wing recipie. Her reply was "you won't even tell me your recipie and you want to tell the board?" So I'm sorry guys but the answer has to be no. There are only 3 known copies of it floating around (1 dear friend, 1 family cookbook, and 1 in my fraternity archives). So if you can track down one of those you're all set.

I will offer any and all advice but just not the details.

Gotta keep em coming back for more. 8)

Good thing I kept reading the posts ... I was going to politely ask you to share your recipe. I am not a great wing fan because most of the recipes I find are far too spicy for moi. Do you serve your wings with a side of sauce like ranch or bleu cheese or are they perfect as is? Ya got me salivating now. :P

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:53 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I think secrets are good. Now I'm not saying that we should go to the grave with our secrets cluched by our sides but I only that I intend to release my recipies slowly... ingredient by ingredient to my children. I still am not entirely sure how to make my grandmother's beans and she has been giving me the recipe for years. I have watched her cook them dozens of times, and I still don't have all her wisdom. It is a privilidge and joy for me to attain to the level of my parents and grandparents and in my own ways to surpass them. I am going to stop now before I start waxing on about BBQ being one of the last remaining elements in our society in which we can experience the transfer of knowledge from generation to generation. We no longer live in tribes and towns and villages and we no longer have aunt may's pralines or uncle jacks special que sauce not to mention the stories about how we won the big game in the last 10 seconds or how what it was really like omaha beach... I say that the backyard is a sacred place in which we can impart the truths we have learned to those closest to us.
Live Different

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:41 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Luke,

You bring up some very interesting points. The backyard is also a great place to experiment. Kind of develop something to your taste. It's hard to transfer precise information all the time, when many of the recipe's are repeatedly mixed "to taste"...just my thoughts..

Pete

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Luke that was quite eloquently said. I wholeheartedly agree.
I felt like I was reading Shakespeare on BBQ there for a second.

I feel like a jerk for not sharing, because as anyone has seen I try to help anyone anyway I can. So I think what I'lll do is post the ingredients but not the measurement. This will partly let everyone in on my "masterpiece" but not completely so. Part the fun is adapting the proportions to taste anyway.
Which to answer an earlier question...my recipie is variable. It can be mild or wild as per taste. And I serve is on the side with Blue Cheese dressing, I'm a purist no ranch here! I typically use Ken's.

Look for the info tomorrow...

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:00 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Buffalo Wings
Ala-- Grand Scale
Based on the Anchor Bar (in Buffalo NY, origin of buffalo wings) recipe

The Sauce - makes enough for about 30 wings
FRANK'S Louisiana Hot Sauce (also sold as DURKEE'S or Crystal)
margarine (not butter !!)
White vinegar
Cayenne pepper powder
garlic salt
black pepper
Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce
Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted, then stir until everything is blended into the sauce. Then get the sauce off of the heat !! This last step is quite important, as any additional heating tends to kill the flavor. Keep Stirred! I also enjoy adding sliced jalapenos.

The Wings - use about 30 wings
Use completely defrosted wings
Cut off the tips
Use a deep fryer (or a pot deep enough to hold wings covered with oil)
Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the oil.
In the deep fryer, put in about a quart of peanut oil (yes, I said peanut oil. Other types of oil don't seem to develop quite the same exquisite flavor.) Heat the peanut oil to 375 degrees F., and drop in half (15) of the wings, one at a time. Doing it one at a time is important, as you don't want to lower the temperature of the peanut oil too much (less than about 325 degrees F.) by dumping in a whole load of cold wings all at one time. Fry the wing for 12 to 15 minutes, then take them out. Place the other 15 wings in the deep fryer, then drain the hot, cooked wings for a few minutes through a strainer, preferably placed over the deep fryer. If you don't use a strainer, the residual oil will congeal on the wings, making a rather greasy mess. Paper Towels will also work. When all the wings are cooked, put the wings and the sauce in a container with a over. Then vigorously shake the container until the wings are thoroughly coated.
Since 30 wings is not a meal, keep warm in an oven on low heat.
This will also help hold the sauce to the wing.
Serve with celery and blue cheese salad dressing.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:28 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

You know of course that you are not limited to cooking wings the "Buffalo" way. I actually prefer a rub on mine that was originally for ribs called JK's available only on the Outer Banks of NC. It's one of the few instances in which I use a commerical blend albeit my use of it is unconventional. I love the play between the cayenne and brown sugar, great stuff. Cook mine indirect with some hickory chunks. I've had nothing but raves over them. Yumm.

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:49 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Now that is a teriffic idea!!!
My wife informed me that the bill of fare for the gathering would NOT be ribs but would be the bone in prime rib. I of course had my heart set on BBQ, so by taking your suggestion doing wings but BBQ style I can get the best of both worlds.
Wonderful!
My problem has finally been solved, thanks all, this has been a fun thread!

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:22 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Grand Scale-
Thanks for your recipe, even without the measurements. I can't wait to try this weekend. I caught the wife at the grocery store and told her to get wings and the sauce and she said I was nuts--but she bought it anyway so I will certainly enjoy this weekend!

PS--Got to serve them with a cold Labatt's Blue!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:17 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Thanks Grand Scale..you're right about this thread. It has been a really good one. Very informative, and a lot of fun. Do you have any other good thought starters for another one??

Stripegrill..Now that LaBatt's Blue will put the finishing touch on the dinner!! My favorite brand of beer.

Pete

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:51 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Grand Scale

Thanks for the ingredient posting of your wing recipe. Your generosity is most appreciated and admired. :D

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I hope you all enjoy the recipie and have as mush fun (and belly aches :wink: ) as I did in perfecting your own versions.

As for the beer I've got to tell you that I prefer, and designed this recipie (like I really have that type of skill HA) to go best with Yuengling Lager! Pennsylvania proud, Americas Oldest Brewery baby!!

So it's my job to come up with a new thread huh?

This could be good...

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:02 pm
chagan well done
well done

Does this mean the Luke and I get to split the prize?

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion