Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Standard Chicken with a Flair

Standard Chicken with a Flair

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:23 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just had to share my little chicken experiment from last night.
Around my house and for as long as I can remember chicken on the grill meant whatwe call a "fair" or "fund raiser" spray. Because the ingredients are what tey use at carnivals and fundraisers all the time. Our recipe consists of equal parts butter and vinegar with salt in a spray bottle and is simply sparyed on the birds as the cook. It's simple but delicious. This recipe has been in use as long as I can remember, only recently was it kicked up by using garlic salt.
Until last night.
I dry rubbed my birds with a simply BBQ rub first and then proceeded to use the same spray and cook as usual.
Boy was it good. Not necessarily better but will offer a quick easy change of pace.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:39 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I use a basic BBQ rub on chicken breasts all the time - it is excellent and a great way to add flavor by just sprinkling the rub on before you place on the grill.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:19 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale,

For a totally different flare try my favorite. Make a rub of salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and ground cardamom...that's the secret ingrediant. Rub on the little chicken pieces and grill away. No one will ever guess the secret ingrediant. In the summer when you can get good tomatoes, serve it with a salsa of chopped tomatoes, red onions and some fresh mint. Wash it down with a good zinfadel.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:20 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Though I am definitely going to try your butter vinegar spray.

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:14 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

Yeah, i'd never heard of that. It sounds good and i'm going to try it next time i do chicken.

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You guys are kidding me, I'm stunned you've never heard about the butter/vinegar salt (garlic in my case) thing. I've always assumed that it was as natural as putting katchup on a hamburger. Deffinately try this. Maybe its a PA dutch thing but its simple and tasty, will give you a nice crispy golden skin and a rich flavor. Around here it is the standard way to do chicken anytime you see a chicken BBQ at an event or fundraiser thats what your getting. The guys spray it on out of big sprayers like you'd spray your garden weeds with (the roundup just adds flavor :wink: ) I've even heard of it being marinated in the sauce overnight with the addition of an egg. Although it seems to add much more work for very similar results. I've used it as a spray on baste when roasting a whole hog too.
Good stuff guys, you'll like it!

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:30 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I've never heard of the vinegar/butter (garlic) spray either. I'm difinitely going to try it though. Thanks Grand Scale for another idea!

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:39 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I have to admit Grand, that I've not heard of the vinegar/butter (garlic) spray either. It does sound delicious. Thank you for mentioning what type of sprayer to use, that was my next question. I’ll just have to find a jar to pour the poison ivy killer into, don’t want to waste it. :wink: One other question, does the mixture cause a flare-up if it hits the fire :?:

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:17 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It can cause flare ups yes, but no more than if you deal with if you use any other oil or italian dressing. I usually get more flare ups from the fat rendering actually.
For home use I use a hand sprayer like you'd put windex (another great flovor enhancer :wink: ) or water (for dousing said flare ups). I spray every time I turn and I turn my chicken often. In cold weather I put a pot of water on my side burner to keep my sprayer in to keep the butter from congealing. In warm weather you're fine.

I'm still dumbfounded and amazed that nobody seems to have heard of this. To me this is one of the first grill things I ever learned and thought it generally way too simply to share. I'm glad I did. Just goes to show that even the smallest thing is worth contributing. Never be afraid to post, even the smallest idea or silliest question is worthwhile!

Is it worth my time to go into the whole fundraiser chicken BBQ scheme too or is that understood by most?

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:35 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale -- It just may be a localish recipe. I now remember an article in the news paper about lots of chicken being cooked that way along the NJ coast for fund raisers. So sure lets have your story. They were mixing the sauce in buckets and mopping -- floor mops -- it on. I certainly hope they were new mops..........

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:58 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The fundraisres that I've seen are pretty simple they take steel sheets and form an open box on the ground, imagine a steel fire ring for a campfire, about 18" - 24" off the ground. The just leave exposed ground. They simply top the box with cooking grates. I've seen these boxes as long as 25 yards. They line the bottom with their coals and they're off. Uing bulk chicken and baked potatos and maybe a packet of steamed vegetables and often served with a roll (a potato roll for Chagan) all to go in a bag. As the chickens cook (they usually cook split roasters) they spray them with the aforementioned sauce from large 3 gallon sprayers. Flip as necessary. If they're really fancy they will create a chicken wire cage like you may use for a whole hog and flip entire grates of chicken at one shot. Start cooking early, estimate when the birds will be done, have a designated pickup from X to Y and pack up leving nothing but some charcoal dust and burned ground behind. These are huge locally for booster clubs for sports teams. I've been to many highschool football games that the smell of grilled chicken fills the stadium as it cooks for pickup after the game.
For you caterers out there (Dkirn) take note, this is quick and easy, but most of all good!

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:39 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale,

That is what I pictured, and now remember it was done at the county fair in Colorado where I grew up....Ah, in the 50's

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I saw something similar to that in one of the BBQ books that I am giving as a Christmas Gift. It seems like an economical way to cook a lot of grub.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:38 pm
TERMINATOR

How much salt do you put in that spray?

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:10 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Grand Scale, I'll be trying this fund raiser chicken later on today! I'll post and let you know how it turns out....

Next

Return to General Discussion