Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBq ribs

BBq ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:16 pm
farmgirl

Please help! I keep trying to make BBQ ribs on a Brinkman pitmaster and every time they are tough and dry. I pulled the peel off. rubbed them and I mopped them throughout the cooking process. I kept the grill at 250 degrees and I used lump charcoal. left them on for 6 hours.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:38 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

Is this the grill that has the fire box on the left side. Sounds like you are in the right direction. You aren't boiling the ribs first are you? Try a temp of 225. I know this sounds like it would not matter but It can. I have 3 of these grills and here is a tip I use every time. Take a pan od some sort. A throw away small basting pan does fine. Put it in the bottom of the side where the meat goes and in front of the opening from the fire box end the grill. Put some water in it. This acts as a baffle and will cool the smoke and heat some. You can even put some cut apples in the water and this adds some flavor to the meat. Watch and don't go to heavy on the rub also. Let the ribs come to room temp before you put them on the grill. If you use the right amount of rub it should produce a red juice after about an hour.

I hope this helps.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:36 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

Are you smoking spareribs? JMHO, but 6 hours sounds a little excessive for the temp you're smoking them at. How are you judging when they're done?

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:40 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grillguy caught my concern -- 6 hours sounds like a long time for a rack of ribs or two. I actually have found that I can up the temperature in the smoker to around 300 and get quite good results in a little less time. You might try that -- there is less time to dry out.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 am
dkirn well done
well done

When i cook ribs I use a temp of 225 (that temp is at the grates where the meat is not at the top of the smoker) and cook for no more than about 4 hours - when the meat starts to pull back from the ends of the bone. It is always juicy and falls right off the bone!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:13 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Everything these guys said is right on. When it comes to ribs I'll always listen to Dkirn he has probably cooked more ribs than I'll ever see in my life! The only other thing I'll add is to ask if you were indirect cooking them, If you had them over direct heat that would dry them out faster too.

Let us know if we've answered your question and how you make out.

Good Luck!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

This is a good thread for me because I used to boil ribs. No wait a minute…I didn’t say that and you can’t prove it. :wink:

I’ve since been trying to do it the correct and only way, low–n-slow. Since, I’ve been able to get fairly tender and juicy ribs but they are still nowhere near what I expect. I also peel the membrane. Even after four hours at 225 and mopping every hour, the bones are not loose and the meat is not “fall off the bone” tender. Next time I was planning on adding an hour and a half to two hours to see if that’s what they needed. Should I add the time or up the temps :?:

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:49 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

I usually stay at 225. I hardly ever smoke less than about 6 racks. They usually average from 5 to 5 and half hours.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:32 pm
PaulP well done
well done

JMHO, but ribs that literally fall off the bone are overcooked. Pull your ribs when the meat pulls back from the end of the bones. They shouild be very tender, but still have some "bite".

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:12 pm
dkirn well done
well done

As far as time for the ribs, if I am using my small chargriller smoker it is ususally 4 to at the most 5 hours at 225 (this is the temp at the grates not at the top of the smoker). Now when I am using my Klose rig it takes longer (probably since the lids are open longer during the hourly moping).

Grand Scale - Thanks for the compliment and not to add to my tally, but I had a full weekend with the Rams playoff game on Saturday - I prepared 350+ racks of ribs over the course of Friday and Saturday! And yes,, I am just slightly tired. I think we have pictures somewhere, I will post when I locate them or the camera!

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:03 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

dkrin,

Hey, I wold like to see the pictures. If you need a place to post them on the web, I can supply that.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:53 am
dkirn well done
well done

I am on the search for the camera, it seems to be missing in action at the moment. I will post as soon as I can.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:54 am
dkirn well done
well done

Roff -

Thanks for the offer for some webspace, but I have a server at my company that I have some extra space that I can use. I will post some pics shortly.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:54 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Dave,

Congratulations on a job well done! I love ribs.
And Congratulations on you fifth flame!!!!!! :D :D :D Keep up the good work.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:56 pm
farmgirl

My ribs turned out better this time it still wasn't fall off the bone, but better. I put a wole slab on instead of pieces , used less rub and had the grill at a higher temp. 275 I had a pan of water by the fire box.. I left them on for 5 hrs and ran out of charcoal. the slab closer to the fire box was more tender.

Thanks for the help

Next

Return to General Discussion