Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wood for Smoking

Wood for Smoking

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:15 pm
kl8ton rare
rare

I am hoping Hickory Pete will pipe in on this as I see he is geographically located in the same state as I am. Where do you guys go to get wood for smoking? I don't know woods just by looking at them so I don't really trust tree services. There is an apple wood supplier in my area but they are out of their wood as they supply restaurants. They only have green stuff left. I am looking to stack my garage full of it, just need to find some.
Clayton

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:23 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Take the green stuff. I use green and seasoned wood all the time. Both work fine.

YB

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:07 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

kl8ton wrote:
I am hoping Hickory Pete will pipe in on this as I see he is geographically located in the same state as I am. Where do you guys go to get wood for smoking? I don't know woods just by looking at them so I don't really trust tree services. There is an apple wood supplier in my area but they are out of their wood as they supply restaurants. They only have green stuff left. I am looking to stack my garage full of it, just need to find some.

Since I have a gas grill, I use wood chips purchased locally, by the bag. I did see on another post about checking with some of the tree services. Perhaps they will give you the wood if you're willing to pick it up.The post was under the topic of "What woods do you recommend for smoking?" (Posted by Treeman, April 8th). His information could be very helpful to many.

Pete

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:22 pm
Rick rare
rare

I love to smoke with applewood. The trick is finding applewood that has not been sprayed. We have alot of pastures in the area that have a crabapple tree here and there. Typically these have not been sprayed. Those are the ones I go after! Great smoke for pork shoulder and baby backs!

Rick

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:31 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good point about the spraying. I've found an organic hobby farm in our area. He just grows for personal and friends use. Has apple, crab apple, couple of kinds of cherries and peaches. Said I can take all the prunings I can haul.

Do vineyards spray much? I wanted to pick up some grape vines to try.

YB

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:36 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

It's not as easy to find apple trees in Texas but I have located a small orchard that has apple, plum & peach where I can get prunings. My next hunt will be for a pecan source. Since this is the Texas state tree they can be found everywhere. I get oak and mesquite from my 30-some acres around the county.

Sorry this won't help in MI. Just puttin' in my 2 cents.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:31 am

YardBurner wrote:
Good point about the spraying. I've found an organic hobby farm in our area. He just grows for personal and friends use. Has apple, crab apple, couple of kinds of cherries and peaches. Said I can take all the prunings I can haul.

Do vineyards spray much? I wanted to pick up some grape vines to try.

YB

I have a friend who just started a vineyard and it seems like he spends a lot of time spraying fungicides on his vines.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:25 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Bob-BQN

Where in the Great Country of Texas are ya? If you live in the Houston area, I know a place that used to be there 4 years ago when I moved to a forgien country (Virginia). They had pecan, oak and hickory and sometimes fruit wood. I used to buy wood from them all the time.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ we just had a storm that had over 80 mile per hour winds. No problem finding wood now. I just picked up a load of pecan. Oak is everywhere you look. Got some mullberry too. And I've found an orchard with apple, peach, & plum. So I'm hooked up with FREE :D wood for a while!

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:39 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Rob,

Care to devulge the location of that farm?

I can't help but laugh at the smokers here liking storms that come through an area for the good wood that becomes available. I have never done that here. :roll:

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:47 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

With the trees that surround your house you better pray we don't get a nasty storm. We'd be looking for you with a logging truck.

Let me call this guy and see if I can get us a basket of several species to play with.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:55 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Rob.

We did loose a couple of big ones during Isabelle, but they were tulip poplars and I doubt that those would be any good for smoking. I have never heard of it being used.

I definitely wouldn’t mind playing with some different woods. I have been buying bags of it at BBQ Galore over in Kentlands.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:10 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Rob-
If the big storm ever hits and burys old Roffee, you just give me a call, I'll bring a crane and work on the trees, and while he's not looking you make off with his grills and his kitchen. :wink:

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:38 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

With the price of fuel you MIGHT make it Frederick before bankrupting the party fund.

I have a feeling that if we start smoking some butts in the vicinity Roffee would claw his way out on his own. :wink:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:46 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

:lol: Not a chance. Beside I figure all the weak trees went down last September.

Next

Return to General Discussion