How to Use This Wiki
Joining the BBQ Wiki
- You first need to set up an account to create or edit a page.
- Click the create account link here or in the top-right corner of the wiki, fill out the required fields, and click the “Create account” button.
- You’ll then receive an e-mail from MediaWiki Mail to confirm your account on BBQ Wiki. Follow the directions in the e-mail, and once you’ve confirmed your account as directed, you’re officially a new member of the BBQ Wiki. Grill on!
Creating a New Wiki Page
- First, use the search box to look for a term. If it doesn't already exist in the wiki, you will be given the option to create an entry for that term. (Note: Be specific when searching for a term to avoid duplicating wiki page names.)
- Click that red link to create the new Wiki page.
- Now click on the red link. At that point, you'll be re-directed to a screen that states: "You've followed a link to a page that doesn't exist yet. To create the page, start typing in the box below (see the help page for more info). If you are here by mistake, just click your browser's back button."
- Start adding text to the new page you're producing.
- When you're finished adding content to the page, click the "Save change" button at the bottom of the page.
Editing an Existing Wiki Page
- To edit the BBQ Wiki, just click "Edit" in the top-right tab of the page to open the text box.
- Make your changes.
- Click the "Save change" button at the bottom of the page.
How to Create Categories on the Wiki
- A wiki category groups wiki pages together based on topic for easy navigation.
- A new category can be created by adding a new entry called "Category:Name of Category," with "Name of Category" being replaced by the actual name of the new category.
- After creating a new wiki page, a category can be added to a page by adding "Category:Name of Category" in double brackets into the text box. (Note: Remember to replace "Name of Category" with the actual name of the new category.)
How to Add Links in Pages to Other Wiki Pages
- Linking a word or phrase on a wiki page is an inter-wiki link, which is a link made to a new or existing page within the wiki.
- To create a link to an existing page, the name of the page you would like to link to must be placed between a double set of brackets. For example, if you would like to link to the "Gas grill" page, the following text must be inserted: Gas grill
- If you want to link to a page but refer to it using different text, such as by using the phrase "click here," then insert the link this way: click here ... note that the text to the right of the vertical bar will be linked to the page listed to the left of the vertical bar within the double set of brackets.
How to Link to External Pages or Pages Outside of the Wiki
- To link to an external web page, use single brackets and within the brackets, list the url to the left of the text you want to link, as in this example: what you want to link to ... "URL will be replaced by the actual web page you want to link to, and "what you want to link to" will be replaced by whatever text you want to link" ... it's that simple.
- Or you can link to a web page by listing the URL in the wiki page as in http://www.barbecuebible.com and that's exactly how it will appear in the text on the page.
For additional information on using the wiki, consult the User's Guide.